What Franchise – the print and digital bible for all things franchising, small business and entrepreneurship – is looking for a talented, ambitious and proactive Content Editor to create best-in-class content and shape the editorial direction of this award-winning publication.
As Content Editor, you will gather a network of franchisees, investors, industry experts, business figureheads and advisors to the franchise sector who, acting as interviewees and contributors, will ensure our editorial is relevant, authoritative, inspirational, and valuable to a readership of burgeoning business owners.
You will be responsible for setting the editorial direction of the title – both print and online – to ensure that we are covering trends and political developments and we are leading the conversation when it comes to UK franchising and small business matters.
The editorial you produce will entertain as well as inform. Whether working on guest editorial or advertorial text, you will be able to nudge good copy towards excellence, and will be as comfortable interviewing top CEOs as you are start-up entrepreneurs. In print, you will oversee clean and appealing layouts, guiding the design department with excellent image selection and carefully formatted, meticulously subbed copy.
Developing print and digital, you will grow our audiences across the board, ensuring content can succeed in different formats and that SEO and user data are never far from your mind. Working closely with What Franchise’s Digital Content Manager, you will ensure that the content on our website is engaging and inspirational, cementing what-franchise.com as the go-to, leading, online platform for franchise education and enquiry services.
As a brand ambassador for What Franchise, the partnerships you form with like-minded brands will create editorial excitement and put us in front of new audiences. You will represent the brand at conferences and events, and be comfortable networking with the industry and hosting panels and webinars. You will also work with departments – particularly our commercial, digital and design teams – across the company to help deliver and support new projects, collaborating with colleagues to drive commercial success.
As Content Editor you will:
- Write, commission and edit content to a high standard for our print and digital channels
- Oversee the entire print magazine production process, from feature idea generation to selecting strong imagery during the design phase
- Work to increase the reach and traction of our content across print and digital channels
- Plan for and improve the SEO of our content
- Increase our pool of user data through planning and delivering content that requires online registration to view and/or download
- Support the growth of our social media channels, using these to drive traffic and downloads
- Plan editorial content and lead features meetings
- Interview members of the industry and franchise business owners
- Research the UK franchise industry and discover the most important issues and challenges facing brands, using this information to make sure our content is relevant and in demand
- Compile and edit special editions and downloadable reports
- Generate ideas for supplementary content and campaigns throughout the year
- Source and develop links with franchise experts whose knowledge and advice will ensure the credibility and appeal of our content
- Proofread and oversee design amendments to content, signing off print pages for press
- Work closely with the advertising team to ensure contacts and leads are maximised, clients are well serviced, and revenue-friendly ideas are maximised
- Publish regular newsletters, working to raise open rates and clicks
- Represent the brand at events, conferences and meetings, with overnight stays and travel as necessary
- Manage a budget
- Comply with policies, procedures and requirements in the Company Handbook at all times
Skills and attributes required:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Experience editing a print magazine. InCopy experience preferable
- Interpersonal skills, self-motivation and flexibility
- Creativity and digital editing skills, with experience of SEO, keyword research and social media knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure and to be adaptable
- Excellent organisational skills
- Time management skills
- Proof-reading/Attention to detail
This is not an exhaustive list, and you will be expected to be flexible in your approach to carrying out your duties, that may change from time to time to reflect changes in the company’s circumstances.
We are open to considering remote working, but there would be a requirement for some monthly attendance at our Colchester offices. We pride ourselves on putting people first. This role is exposed to an incredible array of departments and upskilling opportunities, making progression easy for someone who is motivated to succeed. We’ll work with you to develop and progress your career based on what you enjoy. Plus, as part of DC Thomson Media, we offer a competitive package of benefits to support your personal and professional development.
When it is permitted and safe to do so, there will be a requirement to travel to trade shows, conferences and exhibitions where necessary.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter outlining exactly why we should hire you.
This is a full- time, permanent position, based in our Colchester office. We offer a generous package including: healthcare cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, birthday day off after completion of your first year, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.