Digital Spy, the UK's biggest TV and Movies website, is looking for a Chief Sub-Editor to ensure that all our brand content is the very best it can be.
You'll be working closely with the Managing Editor of Digital Spy – as well as all staff and freelance colleagues – to ensure copy is of the highest quality in every sense, in terms of spelling and grammar, that it's legally sound, works technologically, and reflects our editorial ethos and values.
If you're an experienced sub-editor with an eye for detail, a keen understanding of SEO, and you've got a love of all things TV, movies, soaps, and tech – then this is the opportunity for you.
We're the UK's leading premium publisher, and the people behind iconic media brands such as Digital Spy, Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Elle, Harper's Bazaar and Country Living.
We've created a working environment that encourages everyone to pull together. We never stop looking for brave new ideas. We'll always try to develop and improve, we trust each other to do our best, and we have fun as we build on our heritage to make history.
About the Role
- Close work with Digital Spy's team and other Hearst UK colleagues, to ensure all content meets quality standards and fits our editorial vision;
- Proofreading and editing news and features content before publication, to ensure it's of the highest quality;
- Working with the editorial team on content production processes and workflow;
- Providing constructive feedback to staff and freelance writers, editors and sub-editors;
- Optimising content so that it meets SEO and social media aims;
- Making sure that visuals, videos, links and e-commerce galleries are included where appropriate and credited;
- Managing editorial shift scheduling and cover to set budget, occasionally covering out-of-hours shifts in return for TOIL;
- Managing the homepage and sending our weekly newsletter, including liaising with the marketing team to ensure best practice;
- Working with the Managing Editor and wider Digital Spy team in delivering CMS and other training for new starters and updates on best practice to colleagues;
- Assisting in production and launch of any digital editions, or special projects as required;
- Raising bugs or site issues, as well as suggestions or ideas, to senior staff and our dev and product teams.
You'll have solid experience publishing and editing online at a national or international publication, including on CMS platforms – and ideally, experience as a sub-editor. You'll also have excellent command of the English language, with immaculate knowledge of spelling and grammar.
Excellent legal and ethical judgment is essential, as is a sound knowledge of SEO principles. The successful candidate will also have good general knowledge, and interest in the TV and movie industry.
Experience of managing a brand's house style, including developments regarding acceptable and appropriate language, is desirable. Ideally, you'll also have experience managing and feeding back to writers and editors.
Previous experience sending newsletters, working with e-commerce content, and managing workflow on the publication of magazines is also a plus. This role may occasionally include working outside of core daytime hours, including on weekends and public holidays in return for TOIL.
What We Offer
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days)
- Flexible working – we’re happy to discuss options!
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!
There’s more to your story than you imagine. And the next chapter begins right here.