Haymarket is a successful international specialist media company. We have over 60 market-leading brands in the consumer and B2B markets across the UK, US, Asia, India and Germany, connecting people and communities across digital, print, festivals, awards, conferences, and exhibitions.
As a global business operating in diverse markets, we are inherently multicultural and we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole and use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
Campaign is dedicated to providing the advertising, commercial media and marketing industries with the information, inspiration and insight they need to be successful for over 50 years. News has been central to Campaign’s output since the magazine launched and the News Editor is a crucial member of the editorial team.
The news editor is responsible for overseeing the news output of Campaign and working with the UK Editor and other colleagues to develop the brand’s news and online content strategy.
Key measures of success are measured across Campaign by:
- Increases in engagement and logged-in users across the site
- Increases in subscription volumes, online registrations and email bulletin sign ups
- Regular off-diary exclusives that create an impact in the industry and beyond
- An engaged team excited about writing news stories
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Commissioning and editing news stories
- Working with the UK Editor and Head of Audience Engagement to ensure Campaign’s suite of email bulletins maximise traffic to Campaignlive.co.uk
- Building and maintaining an extensive bank of industry contacts
- Breaking off diary exclusives
- Collaborating with the Media Editor and Creativity Editor to ensure the Media and Creativity bulletins consistently drive users to the Campaign website
- Commissioning and writing news analysis
- Original story-telling such as data visualisation, industry surveys and investigations
- Keeping a close eye on analytics and commissioning colleagues to follow up on high performing stories (or writing them yourself)
- Sensitively managing a team of reporters, developing and supporting them in their careers
- Ensure Campaign maintains its position as the leading provider of news and inspiration for the advertising, marketing and commercial media industry, and it hits its monthly targets for logged-in users.
- Managing the news output of a range of section editors
- Liaising with Campaign’s editors in the US and Asia
- Putting together compelling bulletins each day, working with the Head of Audience Engagement
- Taking overall responsibility for Campaign’s news content
- Attend and report on key sector conferences and events, as and when necessary.
- Help to distribute Campaign’s news content through the website and social media where necessary
- Contribute to Campaign’s live events portfolio (awards & conferences), chair panel debates or take part in presentations, as and when necessary.
- Support Campaign’s commercial content as and when necessary.
- Report all editorial complaints to the editor.
- Set a high standard in general behaviour, appearance and professionalism.
- Becoming an ambassador and spokesperson for Campaign in the wider business and media community
- Be an accomplished news journalist with proven experience on a busy business magazine and/or website
- Have some experience of news editing in a fast-moving sector
- Demonstrate a proven track record of breaking exclusive stories and original story-telling
- Be a self-starter, keen to take on responsibility for the output of of news-led title
- Gain satisfaction from holding influential people and businesses to account
- Be a team player, who works well with other journalists
- An ability to manage junior colleagues and develop their skills in a sensitive manner
- Have an interest in advertising, marketing and media
- Have an obsession with journalistic quality; accuracy of facts, the English language and legal considerations in publishing
Skills and attributes
- Enthusiasm for, and a good understanding of, the role of online as well as print journalism.
- Proficiency in social media.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good analytical and project management skills.
- A willingness to take responsibility for the news output, deal courteously and professionally with all colleagues and contacts, and act as an ambassador for the brand.
- An excellent understanding of media law.
Why work with us?
People are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. Haymarket is a media, information and data business, we use our expertise in media and information to inspire, inform and empower our clients, audiences and communities. We are a socially and environmentally responsible business. As we serve our audiences, clients and communities, we are committed to driving the meaningful change necessary to build a better world. The principles of diversity, inclusion, respect, responsibility and sustainability are at the heart of our business.
We’re hard-wired to produce remarkable content for our audiences, with over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will work on market-leading brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
Our conveniently located Twickenham HQ is home to around 600 employees with a vast array of careers from journalism, video, marketing, sales and events to technology, digital development and product management.
As well as being the home of english rugby, Twickenham has the benefit of being less than 30 minutes from central London but also enjoying its riverside location, proximity to Richmond Park and a buzzing social scene.
With flexible hours, great brands, and a modern open plan environment, we attract great people. There’s time for you to get involved in our extra-curricular activities too; from volunteering with our charity partners, going for a lunch-time riverside run, cycling around Richmond Park or after work fun!
Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We nurture, support and reward our talent. We offer a market-leading benefits programme, tailored to individual needs and preferences. The range of benefits are vast and include a generous pension plan, life assurance, up to 30 days holiday and a fabulous income protection policy. Oh, and our annual employee party is pretty special too!
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 11-3)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Access to Perkbox
- Health Cash Plan
- Family friendly policies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Regular individual and team rewards and incentives for outstanding performance
We want to support our people to balance their personal and professional lives and we believe our range of benefits encourages this. We feel that nothing beats face-time with our colleagues and we’ve therefore adopted a blended working model where full time employees can expect to spend 3 days of their week in the office and the other 2 working at a location of their choice.
As a global business operating in diverse markets, Haymarket is inherently multicultural. Globally we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole. We will use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
As such, we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding and exciting place to work.