News Editor – PRWeek
Salary £38,000 - £40,000
Haymarket Media Group is a global media, data information and analytics company. Our purpose is to create trusted, premium specialist media brands that build powerful communities and drive valuable conversations.
PRWeek is run by a small but senior team of journalists with their fingers on the pulse of this vibrant sector, which demands important and topical stories across the worlds of business, politics, consumer brands and popular culture. The news editor is the beating heart at the centre of this operation, responsible for overseeing the news output of PRWeek online and in print and working with the UK Editor to develop the brand’s news and online content strategy.
Key measures of success are measured across PRWeek UK by:
- Increases in engagement across the site, as defined in annual targets
- Increases in logged in users, as defined in annual targets.
- Increases in digital subscription volumes
- Increases in online registrations and bulletin sign ups
- Increases in our WES
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Finding news
- Writing news analysis
- Breaking news
- Editing, presenting and distributing news and analysis output for PRWeek
- Ensure PRWeek maintains its position as the leading provider of news and inspiration for the PR and Communications industry, and it hits its monthly targets for logged-in users.
- Managing output from other writers
- Liaising with PRWeek news editors in the US and Asia
- Putting together a compelling news bulletin each day (and one weekly round-up) and ensuring it goes out on time
- Taking overall responsibility for both news content on PRWeek.com and for the news element of PRWeek's quarterly print magazine
- Attend and report on key sector conferences and events, as and when necessary.
- Develop key contacts with a view to creating exclusive news stories and articles.
- Update the home page with the latest news and features in conjunction with the production studio and head of audience engagement.
- Help contribute to PRWeek’’s live events portfolio (awards & conferences) and chair panel debates, or take part in presentations, as and when necessary.
- Help contribute to PRWeek’’s commercial content as and when necessary.
- Report all complaints to the editor.
- Set a high standard in general behaviour, appearance and professionalism.
- Becoming an ambassador and spokesperson for PRWeek in the wider business and media community
- Be an accomplished news journalist with proven experience on a busy periodical or website
- Have some experience of news editing in a fast-moving sector
- Be a self-starter, well-used to taking full responsibility for the output of of news-led title
- Be a team player, working well with other senior journalists, supporting one another
- Be a current affairs geek, taking close interest in breaking developments in business, politics, media and culture
- Have an obsession with journalistic quality; accuracy of facts, the English language and legal considerations in publishing
Skills and attributes
- Enthusiasm for, and a good understanding of, the role of online as well as print journalism.
- Proficiency in social media.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good analytical and project management skills.
- A willingness to take responsibility for the news output, deal courteously and professionally with all colleagues and contacts, and act as an ambassador for the brand.
- An excellent understanding of media law.
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 11-3)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Access to Perkbox
- Health Cash Plan
- Family friendly policies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Regular individual and team rewards and incentives for outstanding performance
We want to support our people to balance their personal and professional lives and we believe our range of benefits encourages this. We feel that nothing beats face-time with our colleagues and we’ve therefore adopted a blended working model where full time employees can expect to spend 3 days of their week in the office and the other 2 working at a location of their choice.
As a global business operating in diverse markets, Haymarket is inherently multicultural. Globally we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole. We will use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
As such, we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding and exciting place to work.