Interested in how our towns and cities are shaped by politics and market forces?
Able to spot the significant news in Whitehall documents, ministerial speeches or local government data?
Confident about interviewing experts and writing articles that explain what new policies mean for people on the ground?
If so, this could be the job for you.
Planning, the leading source of intelligence about the UK planning system, is looking for a senior reporter.
Candidates must have journalistic experience or a recognised journalistic qualification. The ability to make complex issues accessible through clear and accurate reporting is essential.
An existing understanding of planning, while helpful, is not as important to the role as curiosity and a willingness to become knowledgeable about the subject. Data journalism skills, or an appetite for developing them through on-the job training, would also be valuable.
Our team of six produce a website, a quarterly print magazine and several daily and weekly bulletins, circulating to more than 7,300 paid users.
Planning is part of Haymarket Business Media. This role will be based at our offices in Twickenham, and the successful candidate will report to the deputy editor.
Haymarket is an international specialist media company. We have over 60 market-leading brands in the consumer and B2B markets across the UK, US, Asia, India and Germany, connecting people and communities across digital, print, festivals, awards, conferences, and exhibitions.
As a global business operating in diverse markets, we are inherently multicultural and we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve.
- identifying news leads by monitoring a wide range of sources, following up stories and contact-building
- writing accurate, well-informed news, analysis and features to deadline
- supporting the deputy and online editors, where needed, by commissioning and editing features as well as compiling email bulletins
- representing the Planning brand in person and through social media platforms
- excellent writing skills
- persistence, energy and productivity
- good news judgment and ability to think creatively about the news agenda
- a keen eye for detail and accuracy
- curiosity about the subject matter
- data journalism skills, or an appetite for developing them through on-the-job training
- good at managing internal and external relationships
- strong organisational skills, with the ability to juggle deadlines and priorities
- aptitude for commissioning and editing
- ability to use your own initiative
- understanding of media law
Why work with us?
At Haymarket Media Group, people are our greatest asset.
We use our expertise to inspire, inform and empower our audiences, clients and communities.
We are a socially and environmentally responsible business, committed to driving the change necessary to build a better world. The principles of diversity, inclusion, respect, responsibility and sustainability are at the heart of what we do.
Our Twickenham HQ is home to around 600 employees, working in a range of disciplines from journalism, video, marketing, sales and events to technology, digital development and product management.
Less than 30 minutes from central London by train, Twickenham enjoys a riverside location and a buzzing social scene.
With flexible hours, great brands and a modern open plan environment, we attract great people. There’s time for you to get involved in extra-curricular activities too, whether volunteering with our charity partners, going for a lunchtime riverside run, cycling around Richmond Park.
Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We nurture, support and reward our talent. We offer a market-leading benefits programme, tailored to individual needs and preferences. The range of benefits are vast and include a generous pension plan, life assurance, up to 30 days holiday and an income protection policy. Oh, and our annual employee party is pretty special too!
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 11-3)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Access to Perkbox
- Health Cash Plan
- Family friendly policies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Regular individual and team rewards and incentives for outstanding performance.
We want to support our people to balance their personal and professional lives and we believe our range of benefits encourages this. We feel that nothing beats face-time with our colleagues and we have therefore adopted a blended working model where full time employees can expect to spend three days of their week in the office and the other two working at a location of their choice.
We recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole. We will use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets. As such, we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.