About the role
SourceMaterial, a non-profit investigative journalism project, is looking for an experienced journalist to report on the international oil and gas sector.
Founded in 2017, SourceMaterial looks for stories at the intersection of climate, corruption and democracy. Our impact comes through collaboration with major media partners like the BBC, NBC, The Times and The Guardian.
The successful candidate will have significant proven reporting experience (this is not a graduate role), ideally in the form of long-lead projects focusing on the extractive industries, and be capable of initiating and delivering high-quality, original investigative work.
They will have a deep understanding of the reporting process, a commitment to best-practice, collaborative journalism, and a desire to help SourceMaterial grow.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively in a small team of experienced journalists under the direction of the Editor to design and carry out in-depth investigations focused on the oil and gas industry
- Collaborate with colleagues, partner organisations and mainstream media to maximise the impact of publications
- Share in developing the SourceMaterial project and increasing its reach and influence
- At least five years’ experience of planning and producing high-quality investigative journalism
- A strong track record of published work
- A close understanding of the extractive industries, preferably with experience of reporting on, and contacts in, the international oil and gas industry
- Exemplary journalistic ethics and the ability to work to the highest standards
- Knowledge of media law and legal risks associated with investigative reporting
- The ability to generate and develop story ideas independently
- The ability to work collaboratively with mainstream media partners and colleagues
- Preference will be shown for candidates offering additional attributes such as digital and multimedia skills, foreign languages, data journalism, open-source intelligence techniques or coding
What we offer
- Salary of approx. £55k
- The opportunity to work on stories that matter in a team of experienced journalists
- A flexible work environment and the space to shape and continuously develop your role
- Fixed term one-year contract (with a view to extension subject to funding)
We will not offer support for relocation. You must have the right to work in your location.