Wired: Senior European Business Writer, WIRED
Over the past decade, Europe has developed a technology ecosystem to rival that of North America and Asia. In 2020, European companies raised a record $41 billion and valuations rose by 46 per cent. As WIRED combines its UK and US teams into a single English-language newsroom, it seeks a writer to cover innovation in EMEA – from robotics companies in Tel Aviv to de-fi in Stockholm, venture capital in London to artificial intelligence in Lisbon – and understand, investigate and hold to account the most important and interesting companies and entrepreneurs across the region.
Writing for a worldwide audience, you’ll have a knack for telling powerful, fresh stories about how entrepreneurship, technological breakthroughs and new business models are developing beyond Silicon Valley. You’ll tell agenda-setting stories that hold power to account and probe the people and companies upending the status quo, for better or worse. You’ll explore what’s enabling growth (and what stands in the way), the effects of different kinds of regulation, explore the impacts of broken systems and economic models and report on the opportunities being created, and their impact on cities and societies. You’ll be looking to understand how technology is being used to tackle some of the world’s biggest challenges – and also how it is changing norms and behaviours in the places where it’s happening.
You should have experience of covering tech companies both large and small, and be excited by the prospect of storytelling across a wide range of formats, from breaking news and sharp, timely analysis to deeply reported narrative features. You may also have the opportunity to take part in our podcasts, video series, or live events. You’ll be part of a growing and increasingly global team of smart, kind, nerdy, and well-informed colleagues who are always brimming with ideas and eager to help each other out.
The role will report into WIRED’s UK business editor and is based in London. It can be remote if you live elsewhere in the UK. If you live in Germany, France, Italy or Spain, where Condé Nast has offices, that may also be an option; please note on your application if you live in one of those countries.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Pitch, report, and write stories on the European technology ecosystem, balancing news and analysis of the most important stories with original investigative reporting, features, or essays
- Collaborate with other members of the business team in shaping the WIRED coverage agenda for the tech ecosystem
- Collaborate with audio, video, events, and social media teams as needed to develop ways of telling stories on other platforms
Essential Skills & Requirements
- Experience as a technology or business journalist with a track record of original reporting
- A clear, engaging, jargon-free writing style
- As well as your CV, please also include a cover letter explaining why you're the ideal candidate for this role and what stories you would look to bring to WIRED's business section