Wired: Business Editor (UK), WIRED
As the UK and US editions of WIRED merge into one, we are seeking an experienced UK-based editor to help manage our expanded global business desk. Working with your counterpart in the US, you will oversee the output of a joint US/UK team of staff writers as well as a small stable of freelancers around the world.
WIRED’s business coverage is read by an international audience and your focus will be on finding and commissioning stories about how entrepreneurship, technological breakthroughs and new business models are developing beyond Silicon Valley, as well as how regulation and economic trends are shaping the technology industry and business environment. You’ll lead a team of writers to deliver agenda-setting exclusives, definitive analysis and smart, timely news coverage on the powerful companies and people upending the status quo, for better or worse.
As the editor in the European time zone, you will primarily assign and edit stories produced by Europe-based writers, though you’ll also take edits filed late in the US evenings and assign ideas for pickup in the US mornings, as schedules and the news cycle dictate. The way our team is distributed means you will work with writers on a range of subject areas, but you will collaborate with the US-based business editor to craft an overall coverage strategy and workflows. We’ll rely on you in particular to identify worthwhile non-US business stories, and where necessary, freelancers who can cover them.
We’re looking for someone driven by an endless curiosity about the potential of technology to tackle humanity’s biggest challenges and the economic, social and political complexities around them. You’ll work with a talented and experienced bench of writers to produce everything from short, sharp news analyses to longer reported pieces, and potentially essays and investigations as well. You should have a good eye for surprising angles on stories and a knack for spotting the wider significance of a new development; you should also be a sharp line editor, good at structuring an argument, cutting superfluous material, and eliminating jargon. You’ll need to be able to work autonomously whilst maintaining tight coordination and collaboration with your far-flung colleagues.
This role is based in London and reports to the US-based business editor of WIRED with a dotted line to the UK news editor. It can be remote if you live elsewhere in the UK. If you live in Germany, France, Italy or Spain, where Condé Nast has offices, that may also be an option; please note on your application if you live in one of those countries.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with your US counterpart and the UK news editor to plan and execute business coverage
- Assign, oversee and edit stories from staff and freelance writers across the globe
- Work with other editors and writers to develop and fine-tune ambitious and original ideas
- Work closely with WIRED’s art, production, research, copy editing, and social teams
- Top-edit junior writers and editors
Essential Skills & Requirements
- 4+ years of digital editorial experience, with a strong focus on business and/or technology coverage
- Experience managing a large group of internal and external writers
- As well as your CV, please also include a cover letter explaining why you're the ideal candidate for this role and outline steps you would take to improve WIRED's business coverage