Sports - live writer
The Evening Standard is hiring a live sports writer to join its brilliant team.
The right candidate will be the lead journalist on our live sports coverage, responsible for maximising engagement with our rolling blogs.
Applicants will be expected to have a deep understanding of how to take readers to the heart of the action and enrich the experience of following their favourite teams and sports.
- Grow our audience across all live sports coverage.
- Build engagement with entertaining, insightful commentary across all sports.
- Have the ideas and resource to offer readers a multi-faceted take on matches, highlighting key incidents, trends and points of interest away from the run of play.
- Develop a loyal following by interacting with our readers and incorporating the best of their contributions into coverage.
- Develop SEO and social media strategies.
- Commission stories, analysis and comment from the reporting team.
- Write your own stories, manage breaking news.
- Generate multimedia sports coverage, including video and audio.
- Develop the Evening Standard’s digital sports channels.
- Edit sport content on all platforms, supporting the digital content editors.
The right candidate:
- Multi-skilled sports journalist, with experience of working in a ‘live’ environment.
- Will be a talented, entertaining sports writer with an eye for an angle and understanding of how to capture the interest of their audience across different media.
- Have an in-depth understanding of SEO and social media strategy.
- Be an excellent communicator and team player, liaising with reporters at sports events to deliver the best possible ‘live’ experience for our readers.
- Will demonstrate experience and understanding of how to manage breaking news.
- Have deep knowledge of London’s football clubs and across the whole sporting spectrum.
- Be passionate about evolving our coverage to meet the changing needs of readers and clients.
- Relish the responsibility of editing the sports section.
- Be committed to working to the highest standards.
- Contribute across the whole department with energy, ideas and a passion for continuous improvement.
- Will largely work evenings and often both days on weekends to cover the action.
- Be comfortable working from home and from our offices in Kensington, London as necessary.
Send a full CV and covering letter, detailing why you are suitable for the role.