Title: Technology and Science Reporter
Department: The Sun Online
Reports to: Technology and Science Editor
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Sun is the biggest news brand in the UK, publishing hundreds of stories a day and reaching over 170m unique users digitally every month. Our exclusives set the news agenda and our campaigns have changed the lives of many.
The technology team is a core part of The Sun’s editorial strategy, covering tech, science and gaming across the UK & US. We’re looking for a first-class reporter to join our growing team and help build on our success so far – with huge scope for career progression and personal development.
Purpose of role: To build the audience of The Sun’s website by producing outstanding, engaging tech stories.
- Turn around copy and content quickly and accurately; mindful of legal issues.
- Identify trending and newsworthy tech stories and subjects that will drive traffic.
- A broad knowledge of all technology, including consumer tech, social media, space exploration, new app features, Apple, Snapchat, TikTok, Elon Musk and quirky stories around the industry.
- Pitch and write 6-7 stories each shift.
- Having an instinct for how to 'sell' a digital story to get maximum impact on The Sun's platforms and also on social media.
- Being able to write in a concise and entertaining way in keeping with Sun style but free from cliche.
- Understanding how to recirculate readers within The Sun and keep them engaged with our content.
- Being able to work as part of a team in a constantly adapting working environment that is always striving to find new ways of telling news stories.
- Working with the video desk and picture desk to maximum effect.
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances.
- Live online reporting or real-time blogging when covering breaking news.
- Really buying into and feeling part of our future development in the UK and US.
- Going above and beyond to help ensure our new operation is a huge success.
Key Skills and Experience:
- Online reporting experience, with specialism in technology highly desired.
- Excellent, fast writing and basic editing skills.
- Flexible attitude to working hours – with some key news events taking place beyond the usual working day.
- A willingness to embrace ongoing digital challenges such as social media.
- Good head under pressure.
- Genuine ambition to progress and make the most of opportunities that present themselves.
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.