The Independent has always been “condemned to innovate”, and has always done so. It has many “firsts” to its credit, including its own creation. It was the first British newspaper to add a Saturday magazine; the first broadsheet to go tabloid; the first to give stunning photography the same prestige as a news or feature story; the first to challenge the Westminster lobby system of closed briefings (“a self-satisfied cabal”); the first to launch a concise quality compact paper, i, in 2010; the first to launch an edition for children; and the first to go fully digital, in 2016. We felt then that our resources would best be concentrated on this growing medium, and progress since has justified that.
Through The Independent Daily Edition app, The Independent and indy100 websites, via social media and via the membership service, Independent Premium, we hope to continue the work of many decades, and to make our voice ever louder and more insistent the world over; across generations, genders and cultures. Every minute of every day we are forging new bonds with new audiences.
Today we have teams across the globe, from Delhi, Moscow and the Middle East, through to London, New York and Los Angeles.
The Independent is looking for an Editor for its successful Daily Edition app, helping to lead our coverage and set the agenda in a growing newsroom.
The successful candidate will have strong production skills - a flair for headlines, pictures and innovative front pages - and always be looking to break the mould, as The Independent has been for 35 years.
They will play a key role in delivering exclusives and strong splashes that matter to our Daily Edition subscribers, while leading a team of sub-editors to produce eye-catching headlines and sparkling copy throughout the app.
- At least 3 years working on a national newspaper or website
- Experience commissioning original, engaging articles
- Experience managing a team
- Strong news sense and ability to present stories in an original, engaging manner
- Flair for headline writing
- Strong copy editing skills
- An eye for pictures
- Practical knowledge of media law
- An understanding of the Independent brand and audience
- Wide knowledge of world affairs, politics and culture
- Day-to-day editing of the Daily Edition app
- Working with the news editor and other section editors to commission stories and build news lists that positively present the Independent brand
- Managing copy flow and working with a small team of sub-editors to build the edition
- Overseeing headlines, pictures and general copy in the edition
- Working alongside the news editor to commission articles and prioritise stories for Daily Edition splashes
- Making key editorial decisions on how we present stories in the Daily Edition
- Create front pages for the app
- Work with other editorial staff on long-term projects and special editions
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.