Features Commissioning Editor / Writer
Location: The I Headquarters – London
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
i is looking for a brilliant features commissioning editor/writer to contribute to our award-winning journalism. As part of our growing features desk, you will conceive, commission, edit and write engaging features for our digital and print audiences. You will enjoy a wide remit, from developing digital-first human interest stories to commissioning news features and identifying emerging lifestyle trends. This is a hybrid editing and writing role, with the opportunity to introduce new formats.
- Assist in all aspects of the features editing process, including commissioning, editing copy in digital and print formats and generating brilliant ideas.
- Forward plan effectively, identifying opportunities for compelling features.
- Use audience insight to inform ideas and commissioning.
- Pitch, edit and write features and long reads online and in print.
- Work quickly, creatively and accurately under pressure to deadline, to produce superb features.
- Contribute to the features team’s publishing strategy across all platforms.
- A self-starter bursting with ideas and a track record in developing original and exclusive journalism.
- Demonstrable desk editing experience and the ability to write sparkling and engaging copy.
- Strong digital publishing experience as well as an understanding of the unique demands of print deadlines.
- Deft at identifying ideas and trends that can be turned into impactful feature journalism.
- Experience of working in a multiplatform or digital publishing environment.
- Confident in giving feedback to commissioned writers.
- A commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Experience with digital CMS desirable.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
To apply, please complete the application form below enclosing a CV and a cover letter, including three feature ideas that would be suitable for publication online and in print. For each idea, please outline how you would tailor publication differently for i’s website and for print, explaining why.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.