The Telegraph’s Social Media Editors work to maximise the potential of the stories we tell using social media, combining excellent social media and journalistic skills.
The Social Media Editors enhance and create stories across a wide variety of social media platforms and ensure that these are distributed properly on social channels.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Editing and maintaining the Telegraph’s main social media feeds to a high standard.
- Creating written, graphic, audio and video content to be distributed on social media channels.
- Attending daily editorial conferences and weekly planning meetings to develop ideas and content plans with other desks.
- Helping the team promote the use of social media across the newsroom, working closely with journalists and desks to help develop ideas and implement strategies.
- Covering live events and breaking news on social media.
- Growing and building strong communities using social media
- Monitoring and researching social media and search trends and emerging platforms/tools/channels.
- Using analytics tools to help inform the re-promotion strategy.
- Please note that the social media desk is covered 7am - 10pm so this role will work on a shift basis across a seven day rota (including weekends).
- Has worked in a social media role with a good understanding of content production.
- Strong knowledge of social media and has creative storytelling ideas to enhance our stories
- Enthusiasm, self-motivation and initiative.
- The ability to work comfortably both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent and clear communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of media law as it pertains to social media
- Experience working in news and in a breaking news environment
- Able to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines whilst maintaining flawless accuracy.
- Experience working with social video would be beneficial.
- Experience working on Instagram Stories is also desirable.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.