MCA News and Finance Editor
We are actively recruiting for an experienced journalist to fill the role of News and Finance Editor for our MCA publication, here at William Reed.
MCA is a news and insight service for leaders of the eating and drinking out sector. This includes senior managers of casual dining chain restaurants like Wagamama, Nando’s and Pizza Express, food-to-go operators like McDonald’s, KFC and Five Guys, pub chains like Greene King and Wetherspoon, and coffee shops like Starbucks and Costa. A premium paid subscription service, MCA uncovers the news behind the news, offering insight and analysis into the opportunities and challenges, as well as the individuals and concepts that are shaping the sector. As such, it’s essential reading for board-level operators, suppliers, industry watchers and analysts.
We are looking for a journalist with several years’ experience in a fast-paced business journalism environment to produce breaking news, exclusives, financial analysis and insight. You will also write profiles and interviews with industry figures, cover new openings and report on executive people moves. Strong digital and social media skills are a must as MCA is a web-first operation, with a digital monthly edition. The ability to share responsibility for early starts (7am) with the team is also essential.
MCA is part of William Reed, the leading specialist food and drink publisher and events producer behind 50 World’s Best Restaurants, The Grocer, BigHospitality and the Morning Advertiser. We sit in the same division as Lumina Intelligence, a London-based food & drink data insight consultancy which provides comprehensive reports and bespoke research for major brands. This offers the potential for some London-based working alongside our main office in Crawley, as well as access to exclusive insight for our daily news content.
This a fast-paced, busy role, which includes the opportunity to attend other industry events and openings, restaurant previews and launch parties.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Managing MCA’s news and finance reporting agenda, by identifying stories, publishing breaking news and populating the website with fresh content on a daily basis
- Researching, writing and curating a daily newsletter, to be shared with the small editorial team of editor and deputy editor
- Examining financial accounts and identify angles for news items, analysis and interview questions
- Assessing data insights from the key providers and identify relevant angles for editorial content
- Developing and delivering in-depth analysis and features examining brands and trends within the industry
- Writing in-depth interviews, profiles and news analysis pieces for our newsletter and monthly digital edition
- Networking and building contacts with key industry figures, attend events, openings, and generate content
- Embracing multimedia, using social media to push and promote MCA content
- Contributing ideas and planning of content for editorial coverage and events
- Attending MCA and external events and conferences, contribute to events ideas and host panel session and live Q&As
- Substantial experience in a fast-paced news-gathering environment, such as the national, regional or financial press, or B2B publications
- A head for news and the determination to secure exclusives
- Fluency and understanding in business, industry and finance
- An appreciation of the hospitality industry, its current pressures and the key brands within it
- Confidence and calmness under pressure; hard-working and self-motivated; excellent writing skills
- Comfortable networking and engaging with CEO-level contacts to secure news and interviews
- Multimedia skills – digital publishing, social media, video publishing
COMPANY BENEFITS INCLUDE
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days annual leave in addition to bank holidays
- Contributory Pension
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Group Income Protection
We provide a supportive work environment and are committed to maintaining a healthy work/life balance for all of our employees. Working for William Reed means that you will be joining a stable organisation that is committed to developing its employees and brands.
We have offices in Gatwick and London, UK; Montpellier, France; Singapore and Chicago, US. We are ideally looking for someone to work on a full time basis; however are open to exploring part time working patterns. Please let us know if you would like to discuss this further. In line with the Company’s current Agile Working Policy, the successful candidate would be eligible to work part of the week from our Crawley office and to work remotely for the rest of the week.
We warmly welcome and encourage applications from talented individuals of all backgrounds and characteristics. If you need any support in accessing this opportunity, please do not hesitate to discuss this with us.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for the position, please click Apply now and send us:
- Your up-to-date CV
- A one-page cover letter telling us why your experience and skills are a match for this role
- Any links or PDF examples of your journalistic output, to demonstrate relevant skills and knowledge.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing Date: 5th November 2021