The Wall Street Journal is looking for an audio engineer to work with podcast producers, editors, reporters and hosts to craft compelling audio news experiences. From daily news podcasts to serialized shows, the audio engineer will have broad experience mixing narration, interviews, music and field recordings, often on tight deadlines. We are a fast-growing, fast-moving team working to produce high-quality audio journalism for The Wall Street Journal's audience of decision makers and a broader audience interested in stories told through the lens of business, markets, economics, technology and luxury lifestyle. You should be eager to join a team that is committed to delivering a best-in-class audio experience for our listeners each and every day, and find detail-oriented, challenging and ambitious work to be rewarding.
You will report to Kateri Jochum, the executive producer of audio. While you will likely start the job working remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office.
- Use ProTools to mix and master short and feature-length non-fiction podcasts, both narrative and daily news
- Work professionally with a growing podcast team to meet tight deadlines
- Work closely with episode producers to take stories from rough cut to final mix
- Cut tape, record and edit two-way interviews
- Understand and support all technical aspects of daily show production
- Maintain high quality standards for studio recordings and field audio
- Create sound designs, either with original compositions or sourced audio content for our podcast suite
- Train producers on ProTools editing, provide audio editorial input
- Work collaboratively with other stakeholders, including the senior director of multi-format production, to maintain and evolve production workflows
- Support and troubleshoot studio, remote, and field recording workflows and tools
- Manage and maintain assets and project files for each episode, as well as support file sharing systems for the team
- 5+ yrs audio engineering/sound design experience, preferably in a news- or news-adjacent setting
- Command of studio and post-production tasks, including recording, tape editing, sound design and mixing/mastering
- Demonstrated skills in multi-track editing narrative audio productions
- Experience with a range of technologies, including Audio over IP, Comrex and Skype
- Ability to make studio repairs, ranging from microphones to Comrex units to Telos Xstreams
- Ability to maintain field gear, especially Marantz, MixPre3 and MixPre6 devices
- Calm under pressure, with an ability to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Expert time management skills. You thrive in a deadline driven environment
- High organizational skills, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Incredible attention to detail
- Ability to take direction and work independently within a collaborative team environment
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Experience with live show recording a plus
- Ability to communicate with internal and external teams in a calm and concise manner
- A familiarity with major news podcasts, and an interest in business news
- Pro Tools mastery - an in-depth understanding of the tools and techniques used with the latest versions of the software
- Solid understanding of industry standard audio plug-ins
- Understanding of recording studio technology and audio production workflows
- Excellent Mac OS troubleshooting abilities
To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining how you would approach the job.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: About Us
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 28315