We’re recruiting for a Digital Intern at SquareMeal – the UK’s leading guide to restaurant and bars. As a rapidly growing business you’ll be joining the company during an exciting period of up-scaling, becoming part of a fast-paced editorial team passionate about the world of food and drink.
The position is full-time and based from our offices in Vauxhall. The ideal candidate will be an energetic, creative thinker who is well used to working to tight deadlines and has experience working in a digital capacity.
About the role
As a Digital Intern at SquareMeal you’ll be expected to hit the ground running as part of the busy editorial team. You’ll report to the Managing Editor and your job will span several sections of the site, as well as heading up support across social and marketing materials, such as newsletters and solus emails. As an example, day to day you’ll write listings for paying clients, form SEO copy for landing pages, attend restaurant reviews, write news stories for the site, create and update features, post content to social media and curate newsletters.
Here are a few essential professional skills we’re looking for:
- A keen interest in and knowledge of food and drink
- Excellent written English
- An understanding of social media and appropriate scheduling tools
- Experience writing both snappy news copy and longer-form features
Here are a few personal skills we’re looking for:
- Highly organised and efficient
- A good team player
- Meticulous attention to detail and the ability to self-sub
- Someone who can act as a representative for the brand at events and dinners
- Excellent communication skills for liaising with colleagues, clients and contractors
Here are a few things that aren’t essential but are good to have:
- Previous work on video shoots
- An understanding of Mail Chimp or a similar newsletter builder
- A love for creating moving images, gifs and Reels for social
- An appreciation and understanding of analytic tools, particularly GA
- A good working knowledge of WordPress or a similar CMS
What we offer
As a Digital Intern at SquareMeal you’ll be offered an exciting and diverse role with huge potential for personal and professional growth. As a team we’ve quadrupled our traffic in four years and have ambitious plans to continue to grow at a similar pace. Here are some things we offer as part of our employment package:
- 12-month placement
- 23 days annual leave, plus Bank Holidays
- Professional training development
- Early finish on a Friday
How to apply
Please click Apply now and send a cover letter that pays particular attention to why you’d be a good team fit, in relation to the experience criteria above, along with a CV.
For candidates who might not quite meet the above criteria, we do have a work experience scheme in place. Please see squaremeal.co.uk/jobs for more info.
About the company
SquareMeal was set up over thirty years ago now, originally as a print guide to the Square Mile. Decades later and we’re now a thriving digital platform for readers to find and book restaurants, bars, meeting rooms, private dining rooms, wedding venues and more all over the UK. Every year we review hundreds of the country’s best restaurants to bring our audience an honest and useful insight into eateries across the UK. With an ABC1 audience, we attract a high-spend restaurant-goer. Our offering is supported by our free concierge service which helps diners find the perfect event venues for events like work parties, private dinners or weddings.
Please note, due to the volume of applications we receive for vacancies we are unable to respond individually unless you have been selected for interview. Additionally, SquareMeal reserves the right to fill the role before the deadline, so we would encourage early applications.