Digital editor, The Independent
The Independent is an online news publisher that was established in 1986 as a politically independent national newspaper. In 2016, The Independent became a fully digital publisher, moving away from print in pursuit of sustainability, and to keep its values alive.
Through The Independent and indy100 websites, its subscription and contribution services, as well as its syndication and advertising businesses, The Independent hopes to continue the work of many decades, and with over 100 million unique global visitors a month, to make its voice ever louder and more insistent the world over.
Today we have teams across the globe, from Delhi, Moscow and the Middle East, through to London, New York and Los Angeles.
The Independent is looking for experienced digital editors to help perfect and package our content.
You will be expert at homepage and section page editing, headlines, picture selection and packaging, and have a full understanding of what makes online content appeal to large audiences. The right candidate will understand how a tiny tweak to a headline or picture choice can massively impact readership.
The successful candidate will be a champion of digital best practice, and understand how to optimise articles and homepages for both algorithms and user experience. You will also possess the confidence to lead newsroom managers into action in terms of fresh commissions and ideas.
You will also be comfortable reaching out to colleagues to help educate them on best practice day to day. The right person will have an understanding of data and analytics as well as an exceptional news sense and grasp of digital journalism.
Key Responsibilities And Skills
- Day-to-day editing of the Independent’s homepages
- Overseeing headlines, pictures and general copy on the website and ensuring standards are implemented and adhered to
- Making key editorial decisions on how we present stories
- Using data and analytics to develop our publishing strategy
Essential Skills And Experience
- Experience working on a national or regional newspaper or website
- Strong news sense and ability to present stories in an original, engaging manner
- Knowledge of SEO and trends
- Flair for headline writing
- Strong copy editing skills
- An eye for pictures
- Practical knowledge of media law
- An understanding of the Independent brand and audience
- Wide knowledge of world affairs, politics and culture
- Flexibility to cover a variety of shifts
Expected behaviours: (how the remit is delivered, add any additional required).
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries. If you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including free on-site gym, great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.