Newsweek is looking for a Deputy Weekend Editor to join our London team.
The ideal candidate will have experience covering all aspects of news and culture with a particular interest in the United States.
The candidate must be comfortable directing staff, discovering and assigning stories and sub-editing copy to a high standard. They will show sound editorial judgment, a comprehensive understanding of media law and confidence in handling everything from international breaking stories to complex political situations and trending topics.
The role will include editing and writing stories and the applicant should have experience working in a digital environment with a feel for trends and a knowledge of analytics.
The candidate will be responsible for ensuring high-quality coverage that is accurate, fair, and conforms to accepted standards of journalism.
This is a full time role, working 5 days a week including weekends.
- Write, commission and edit stories
- React to breaking news
- Scour multiple social media for stories and emerging trends
- Assign and oversee original stories and exclusives
- Check facts and sources and ensure content is of the highest possible standard
- Forward planning for future events
- Experience in an editing role for a reputable organization
- Familiarity covering U.S. politics and trends
- Experience of various social media platforms and SEO
- Capable of working to tight deadlines
- Must be able to work flexible hours