First published in 1890, The Strad is the indispensable guide for string players, teachers and instrument makers, featuring expert advice and practical guidance each month from celebrated luthiers and leading instrumentalists. Authoritative, trusted and influential, The Strad is available in print and online.
Responsibilities and Objectives
The Strad magazine is looking for an editor to drive forward its brand editorial strategy across all platforms, including print, digital and events.
- Co-ordinating content annually for twelve magazine issues, five special supplements, two posters and a calendar
- Overseeing website and social media strategy, and driving traffic growth and engagement with the aim of increasing registrations, subscriptions and shop purchases
- Commissioning work from a range of contributors and freelancers, and ensuring all content is edited and presented to a high standard, to deadline and within budget
- Overseeing the layout and appearance of all content, ensuring it reflects the brand’s values and balances the needs of readers with advertisers
- Line managing a team of editorial staff and a large pool of freelance contributors
- Leading by example to encourage a supportive and creative culture where all individuals are able to do their best work
- Collaborating with the publisher, head of audience engagement, marketing manager and sales manager to formulate brand strategy, and drive subscriptions and revenue
- Representing the brand and the company at conferences, events, industry and client meetings, concerts and festivals
- Contributing to the company-wide success of Newsquest Specialist Media
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Significant experience of working in the editorial department of an arts-related consumer brand, including first-rate writing and editing skills
- An excellent communicator, with strong management skills, and the creative and entrepreneurial flair to develop the brand further
- Comfortable in representing the brand at a senior level both internally and externally
- A passion for classical music, significant knowledge of the classical music industry, and a strong understanding of stringed instrument performance, teaching and making
- An excellent understanding of the magazine production process and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people from different departments throughout the business
- A good grasp of the online world, the ability to recognise future trends and an understanding of the importance of digital opportunities to drive brand strategy and growth
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to interpret data to develop meaningful content strategies for the brand
- A strong understanding of the reader’s journey between various media
- Impeccable attention to detail and superb organisational skills
The role is full time and hours will be divided between remote and office working. To apply, please submit a CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the role to email@example.com. You should also include a selection of three recently published pieces of writing in a related subject area.
Closing date: 19 November 2021