Short Form Content Editor, The Independent
Reports to: Head of Multimedia, Independent
The Independent is an online news publisher that was established in 1986 as a politically independent national newspaper. In 2016, The Independent became a fully digital publisher, moving away from print in pursuit of sustainability, and to keep its values alive.
Through The Independent and indy100 websites, its subscription and contribution services, as well as its syndication and advertising businesses, The Independent hopes to continue the work of many decades, and with over 100 million unique global visitors a month, to make its voice ever louder and more insistent the world over.
Today we have teams across the globe, from Delhi, Moscow and the Middle East, through to London, New York and Los Angeles.
- You will have news instinct, have the ability to spot a great video story and an appreciation of what type of content works well online.
- Thrive in a fast paced, busy newsroom and have the ability to work under pressure.
- Have the ability to lead shifts when necessary and work to flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Strong organisational skills and time management.
- Have proven track record in writing headlines.
- Have a good understanding of media law and ethics, specifically surrounding copyright.
- Have an understanding of data analytics and be able to work to targets.
A role within the Independent video department focusing writing, sourcing and commissioning video stories for Independent TV and indy100.
You will be able to write compelling headlines, clean copy and also have a knack for spotting video content likely to appeal to large audiences via both social media and search.
You will use analytics tools to gauge audience interest and scour multiple sources, such as video agency wires and social platforms, for gems, before expertly headlining and writing short stories to accompany them.
On a day-to-day basis you’ll have the opportunity pitch videos that short articles can be written around. In this all-encompassing position you’ll be expected to follow through with what you publish, liaising with various departments to push each story to as many readers and viewers as possible.
- Spotting and understanding good online video.
- Excellent copywriting and headline skills.
- Understand digital analytics tools.
- Have a proven track record as a journalist.
- Act swiftly and vocally when issues arise.
- Be a problem solver with the ability to deal with issues calmly and decisively.
- Be a team-player able to work well with others.
Skills and experience
- Experience of successfully working in a similar role at a similar title.
- Demonstrable experience as a journalist.
- Strong familiarity with the Independent and our coverage.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills required to manage the daily/weekly/monthly publishing flow of an editorial team.
- Experience collaborating with editors to grow and increase audience, both on site and across platforms.
- Ability to interpret data and make insightful recommendations.
- Skilled content creator.
- Ability to clearly communicate best practices.
- Experience of working in a dynamic fast-paced media environment.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries. If you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including free on-site gym, great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.