People Writer - The i
Location: inews Headquarters – London
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
i is looking for a skilled People writer to produce smart, insightful human-interest news features for our growing digital audience. As part of our growing team, you will conceive, develop and write engaging high-quality content on notable people in the public eye, from serious issues concerning the monarchy to cultural rows engulfing social media celebrities. You will be able to suggest clever angles that bounce off the news agenda to inform and entertain our digital readership.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
- Generate brilliant news features, deep dives and ‘quick takes’ on people in the public eye
- Propose smart angles that pivot off the news agenda to help grow our audiences online
- Produce high-quality, well researched and compelling copy that works across all platforms
- Maintain ownership of a diary of relevant events and forward plan effectively, identifying opportunities for compelling features and opinion on people in the public eye
- Use audience insight to inform ideas and commissioning
- Work quickly, creatively and accurately under pressure to deadline
A self-starter bursting with ideas and a track record in developing smart, original journalism
- Ability to write sparkling, accurate and engaging copy under pressure
- Adept at use of data to inspire ideas and commissioning
- Brilliant command of the quality celebrity market
- Familiarity with constitutional issues surrounding the royal family
- Strong contacts and demonstrable ability to use them to create impactful journalism
- Experience of working in a multiplatform or digital publishing environment
- A commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage
- Experience with digital CMS desirable
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice
To apply, please complete the application form below enclosing a CV and a cover letter, including three culture content ideas that would drive engagement online. For each idea, please outline how you would tailor publication differently for i’s website and for print, explaining why.
dmg media’s brands deliver highly engaging, trusted content to millions of loyal customers around the globe, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Together, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Metro, i, MailOnline, Mail Plus, metro.co.uk and inews.co.uk reach more than 11m people daily in the UK.* Globally, our brands reach 180m unique browsers every month.** In March 2021, the business acquired the world’s leading science title, New Scientist.
dmg media’s newsbrands are expert at getting to the bottom of the stories most relevant to their readers.
*PAMCo 1 2020 ** Omniture April 2021
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.