MarketWatch seeks an Editor in Chief to lead the newsroom in producing journalism that gives readers the news and insights needed to make more informed financial decisions.
MarketWatch aims to make finance and markets relevant and engaging even to those who mistakenly believe a publication with the words market or Wall Street in the name may not be for them. Part of the job will be honing MarketWatch's voice to be more conversational and accessible, free of jargon, PR-speak and purple prose.
Our mission is to help readers understand what the news of the moment means for their money. The editor will advance these efforts, deepening the coverage, generating scoops of fact and insight that have real impact.
The Editor in Chief will be the leader for the MarketWatch newsroom at Dow Jones; part of the Barron's Group, which also includes Barron's, Financial News, Mansion Global, and Penta. The position is a unique opportunity to accelerate expansion, launch new ventures, help shape a world-renowned newsroom, and deliver ambitious, impactful journalism.
The EIC will be an experienced manager with razor-sharp story instincts, a passion for markets, finance, and business, and a track record of inspiring journalists to produce work that is important, impactful, unique, useful, and unboring.
The Editor will drive the expansion of the breadth and depth of our coverage of markets, industries, the economy, politics, personal finance, and retirement, with the goal of making MarketWatch essential reading for readers and subscribers.
The Editor-in-Chief will have unrivaled knowledge of the financial industry, wealth management, business, and investing, coupled with a stellar background as an editor. The ideal candidate will have deep experience managing financial or business reporters, editors and publications and have a proven track record of building digital audiences, in particular digital subscriber audiences.
The Editor will:
- Work with partners across the company to determine premium content strategy to grow the MarketWatch subscription business.
- Help drive MarketWatch to increased global prominence.
- Raise the profile of our journalists with increased coverage, visibility, traffic and impact.
- Increase footprint of the brand across every platform (live events space, audio, video, etc.).
The Editor will have:
- Management experience overseeing a global financial newsroom or publication.
- Fluency in modern digital publishing, particularly with subscriber publication services.
- Deep knowledge of the financial industry, investment world, and business in general.
- A proven track record of leading and conducting impactful world-class journalism.
- A Track record of managing and leading change.
- Rich experience working closely with senior corporate executives on strategy and execution.
- Ability to hire top talent
- Strong communication skills and substantial public speaking experience.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: BG - MARKETWATCH
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 28544