The Evening Standard is an iconic London brand, recognised as setting the agenda in politics and business, as well as being first with lifestyle content, major news and sports stories.
We are UK’s largest quality daily and online newspaper, with one of the fastest growing audiences in the UK. We provide brands and marketers with an unparalleled gateway to London's high-value audiences through digital, print, social and events. ES Magazine, Homes and Property and ecommerce platform ES Best are all market leading in their fields, and add to the compelling Evening Standard portfolio.
We are proud of our history and firmly set on a future that is focused on growing audiences and revenue with a digital first entrepreneurial approach.
The Audience team
You will work with a team of social and SEO editors responsible for optimising and posting our content. You will report into the Head of Social and Audience Editor. You will work with editors and journalists across the newsroom to identify trending stories, increase traffic and build a loyal audience via search and our social media platforms.
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals with good knowledge and experience of news and social media. An understanding of SEO is also beneficial. The right candidate will thrive in a busy and exciting digital first newsroom. Working closely with journalists across key channels (including News, Sport, Features and Business), you will ensure we are identifying trending on-brand stories for loyal and new readers and deliver them so they reach maximum traffic potential across multiple platforms. A keen interest and understanding of current affairs - from politics and crime to celebrity news is a must.
Social Editors are responsible for packaging and posting our content in an engaging manner, understanding the different needs of our users on different platforms.
Editors also help to identify on-brand trending stories and topics, offer ideas, and work with journalists across the newsroom to optimise for search and social media to ensure it meets maximum traffic potential.
We are looking for individuals with a passion for current affairs and a creative energy that will make our content stand out from other publishers on search and social media platforms.
- Key responsibilities
- Package and post ES content across all our social channels and platforms
- Optimise content to ensure maximum audience reach and engagement
- Identify trending topics to feedback to commissioning editors
- Work as part of the editorial team to ensure all staff are following social and SEO best practices
- Maximising reach and engagement for content across our key verticals / channels
- Keep abreast of developments in the field and advise on potential gains and pitfalls
Skills and experience:
- Experience working in a newsroom environment
- Experience posting on social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- An understanding of TikTok and how-to create social videos
- Should be confident to work independently
- Ability to write engaging headlines and sells
- Ability to identify trends that would make for good potential stories
- Understand the ES brand, tone and audience
- Thinking creatively and pitching ideas on how to make the most of each story on each platform
- A solid understanding of media law
- Video and photo editing experience is a plus
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8
Hours: Your hours will be 40 hours per week working Tuesday to Saturday.
Evening Standard is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including free on-site gym, great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.