The Independent is an online news publisher that was established in 1986 as a politically independent national newspaper. In 2016, The Independent became a fully digital publisher, moving away from print in pursuit of sustainability, and to keep its values alive.
Through The Independent and indy100 websites, its subscription and contribution services, as well as its syndication and advertising businesses, The Independent hopes to continue the work of many decades, and with over 100 million unique global visitors a month, to make its voice ever louder and more insistent the world over.
Today we have teams across the globe, from Delhi, Moscow and the Middle East, through to London, New York and Los Angeles.
As a Video Journalist you will produce engaging content for The Independent’s website and social media channels on a wide range of topics.
Reporting to the Head of Multimedia you will react to breaking stories and traffic requirements, work on long form productions and pitch original ideas.
You will be expected source footage, writes scripts and shoot and edit original content.
You will join a team that works a shift schedule that includes evenings and weekends and overnight.
- You will have news instinct, have the ability to spot a great story and an appreciation of what type of content works well online.
- Thrive in a fast paced, busy newsroom and have the ability to work under pressure.
- Have the ability to lead shifts when necessary and work to flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Strong organisational skills and time management.
- Have a good understanding of media law and ethics, specifically surrounding copyright.
- Have an understanding of data analytics and be able to work to targets.
Key responsibilities and skills:
- Shoot and edit to tight deadlines set by the Head of Multimedia.
- Deliver engaging content.
- Work well with members of other teams to optimise department performance.
- Ensure your work is always the highest possible standard it can be.
- Be comfortable in clearing footage from social media.
- Ensure any content produced satisfies legal and ethical requirements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of The Independent’s values and always work with those in mind
Essential skills and experience
- Newsroom experience.
- Ability to generate stories using video.
- Identify videos that have high traffic potential.
- Edit video in Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Understanding of SEO.
- NCTJ/BJTC qualification.
- Ability to switch priorities if required.
- Confidence communicating with senior editors about ideas and pitches.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries. If you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including free on-site gym, great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.