Role purpose and overview
Bringing readers closer both to our journalism and our journalists are key pillars of The Telegraph’s subscriber-first engagement strategy and, as Editorial Community Editor, you will be part of a team responsible for cultivating The Telegraph’s community of readers.
The Editorial Community Editor will be responsible for building, managing and growing The Telegraph’s engaged communities through interaction with our readers both on our own platforms and also third parties’. The Community Editor will also work with The Telegraph’s Head of Community to create and implement strategies designed to drive core business objectives around user registration, interaction and other key engagement metrics.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Helping to develop and implement The Telegraph’s on- and off-platform community strategy
- Developing communities of interest within our readership around key Telegraph content verticals
- Plan and generate new ideas, updating and improving existing initiatives, working with colleagues and other departments to ensure cross-promotion.
- Shaping The Telegraph’s commenting strategy to support and encourage high quality discussion and debate
- Using data to develop initiatives that drive quality interaction with readers
- Managing the Telegraph’s Politics Whatsapp groups which require three daily updates a day
- Managing and growing our multiple Facebook Community groups
- Share ideas and liaise with desks across the newsroom on a daily basis
- Experience of building and growing successful online communities both on owned and distributed platforms
- Understanding of what builds communities online and how we can do this in a Telegraph way
- Experience of increasing the volume and improving the quality of journalist engagement within the comments section
- Excellent understanding of The Telegraph’s brands, both in digital and in print
- Excellent understanding of the existing digital publishing landscape and emerging media trends
- Able to edit, check and publish copy, source imagery/video, create online pages, forums and areas.
- Must understand the importance of harnessing social channels to drive engagement.
- Demonstrable ability to use analytics tools and data reports to inform editorial decisions
- Desirable: Experience of planning new content and improving existing content.
- Able to examine and interpret analytical tools.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of SEO-optimised copy.
- Understanding of the importance of great imagery/video.
- Experience with offline communities and events preferred but not essential
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.