Sports live blogger
The Independent is looking for a talented sports journalist to join the title as a live blogger.
The successful candidate will have a genuine passion for all sports and be able to write confidently on a number of topics. The right person will also have an expert grasp of the demands of live coverage, understand the importance of maintaining the correct tone of voice within copy and know how to best make our blogs stand out from our competition.
The successful candidate will join a team of journalists who enjoy their work and have taken time to create a clear identity for the brand and grow a loyal audience. The team are self-starting problem solvers, who know how to identify unique angles for stories, and take time to think creatively about how best to package our output.
The position would suit both newly qualified journalists and those with greater experience. The nature of the role means evening and weekend working will be required.
Key responsibilities and skills:
· Writing live content suitable for The Independent.
· Covering a wide range of sports.
· Keeping up to date with latest trends and news on social media.
· Being a self-starter.
· Excellent written English.
· Spot opportunity and react in an agile manner.
Essential skills and experience
· Extensive knowledge of a wide range of sports.
· Strong familiarity with The Independent and our live coverage.
· Excellent organisational and planning skills.
· Skilled content creator.
· Ability to clearly communicate.
· Experience of working in a dynamic fast-paced media environment.
· Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
· Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
· Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
· Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
· Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries. If you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including free on-site gym, great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.