Indy100 - Independent (12 month FTC)
The Independent is looking for a talented senior journalist to join the title’s Indy100.com platform based in London.
The successful candidate will have a genuine passion for news, politics, entertainment, lifestyle and social justice issues such as race, gender and disability, and be able to write confidently across a wide range of topics. The right person will also have a good grasp of social media, SEO and viral trends and understand how to cut through the noise online and tap into the zeitgeist.
The successful candidate will join a team of journalists who enjoy their work and have taken time to create a clear identity for the brand and grow a loyal audience. The team are self-starting problem solvers, who know how to identify unique angles for stories, give a voice to underrepresented communities, use humour and style in their writing and take time to think creatively about how best to package our output.
The position is for a senior writer who would be expected to lead weekend shifts on a rotation basis, edit other writers’ copy and stand in for editors where necessary.
Key responsibilities and skills:
- Writing content suitable for the Indy100 platform
- Responding to breaking news and trends
- Coming up with new and interesting content ideas
- Being a self-starter
- Excellent written English
- Journalism qualification
- Spot opportunity and react in an agile manner
- Work closely with colleagues both in the US and UK
- Able to edit other writers’ copy
- Capable of leading shifts
Essential skills and experience
- Experience of successfully working in a similar role at a similar title
- Strong familiarity with the Independent and our coverage
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Skilled content creator
- Ability to clearly communicate
- Expert knowledge of trends and social media
- Experience of working in a dynamic fast-paced media environment
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
Please send your CV and covering letter.
Please also include three story ideas that you would pitch on your first day. If you use that day’s news agenda to inspire some of your ideas, please ensure you include the date that you wrote your application.