Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph's investigations team has delivered high profile, award winning exclusives that have generated headlines around the world.
The Investigations Correspondent will be part of a team of reporters who work on in-depth articles that hold the powerful to account and expose wrongdoing, undertaking a wide variety of duties to assist the Investigations Team and News Desk in its news coverage.
Please note: this is a fixed-term contract position, covering a period of parental leave.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Generating and seeking out exclusive news stories.
- Presenting story ideas to the Investigations Editor and News Editor.
- Excellent at rooting around on social media to find leads for stories.
- Identifying exclusive news stories worthy of longer term investigation.
- Working effectively in a team in an often pressured environment.
- Discretion and ability to work on confidential projects for long periods.
- Excellent news judgement.
- Familiarity with finding hidden information on the internet
- Working across different publishing platforms, including the newspaper, podcasts, website and social media channels, to consider the most engaging way to present the team’s reporting.
- Ability to travel for stories
- Knocking on doors to speak to sources.
- Flexibility to report on breaking news stories as needed.
- Analysing and processing large amounts of data for stories.
- Experience of working in a national news or broadcast environment.
- Experience of breaking exclusive news stories.
- Experience of working to tight deadlines.
- Familiar with companies house and other online search systems.
- Detailed knowledge of media law and relevant codes of practice.
- Experienced data journalist or proficient in Excel.
- Experience of speaking to confidential sources.
- Eye for detail so you can ensure copy is accurate.
- Some experience of overseeing the work of more junior colleagues
- Experience writing news stories or features.
- Understand what drives digital engagement.
- Ability to work undercover if required.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.