The Wall Street Journal is seeking a photo editor to join its Features team. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and fast-paced team of photo editors and to work on The Wall Street Journal's Life&Work coverage. Themes and topics include Personal Finance and Careers, Consumer Technology Trends and Personal Health & Wellness.
You are a photo editor with range and journalistic integrity, with a passion for communicating how best we can live our fullest lives and manage our money and careers. This team produces high-quality photographic and mixed media work - some conceptual and photo-illustration, some portrait, still-life, research and reportage - in a fast-paced environment. The Life&Work editors create compelling news, features and Guide-based content for all platforms, from mobile to desktop, from social media to daily WSJ print pages, reaching a broad, global audience.
- Produce and build visual assets for Life&Work content for WSJ digital and print platforms and broader global reach.
- Assign Photography and oversee shoot production (which may include shoots in WSJ's in-house photography studio)
- Commission or create original Photo Illustration content.
- Perform historic and sophisticated general photo research for conceptual and regular story treatments.
- Work closely with the Life & Work coverage chief and Deputies, a team of reporters and publishing editors, SEO editors, strategy editors and our platform teams.
- Promote a diverse and exciting group of photographers and subjects, with an eye to building new audiences for our journalism.
- Pitch visually innovative and original approaches to coverage, focusing on the online experience and demonstrating an understanding of the different platforms and audiences.
- Display commitment to digital best practices and continuous improvement as we work together to refine the content package and publishing expectations, meet KPIs and give our audience the content they want and need.
- Maintain a budget on a monthly basis.
- A background in editorial production work, conceptualization and assigning of visual content. Graphics or Design experience welcomed.
- Excellent news judgement, fast digital editing skills and an expansive understanding of mobile-first experience and design.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaborative abilities.
- A creative vision and enthusiasm to spearhead and collaborate on new ideas.
- The drive to reach new audiences, an understanding of and appreciation for audience data and SEO-friendly presentation.
- Deep research skills, including news-gathering and social media tools.
- Knowledge of web tools and programs, including content management systems, Photoshop, PhotoMechanic, video editing tools, FTP, and social media tools.
- A track record as a self starter who also works very well with larger teams.
- At least 3-5 years experience in a photo editing and production role.
This position will report to the Deputy Director of Photography, Features. While you will likely start the job working remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: About Us
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 28828