Are you a creative, well-connected and enterprising journalist/PR who wants to use their editorial experience to develop their career in public relations?
Do you want to put your transferable skills to the test in an environment where you’ll be supported to develop at an ambitious agency in a growing industry?
Do you want to join a team of former journalists who have made the successful transition into PR and are now growing a business, running projects and using their news nous commercially?
Do you have first hand experience of how best practice in PR is complementary to the newsgathering process?
Have you received a range of press releases, understanding what it takes to stand out to busy writers and editors?
Is your phonebook, Twitter follower list and personal circle a who’s-who of online journalists and have you got the desire to expand your network of contacts?
Do you have an instinct for trending news, do you get SEO and can you identify the next big thing that gets an audience clicking, sharing and talking?
If you have created, written and edited at major digital publications and know a story, how to reach an audience and have the contacts to make it happen, Press Box PR want to hear from you.
There’s no requirement for experience in public relations or any professional agency role - but if you have had any, that is a bonus.
Otherwise, a knowledge of journalists and journalism coupled with ideas and energy is more than enough to fast-track your career development with a move into digital public relations.
Who are Press Box PR
Founded in Spring 2018, Press Box PR is a growing agency made up of ex-journalists and PR professionals combining their experience to generate online media coverage for a range of clients in the sports, consumer and professional industries.
The Press Box team takes pride in media relations and we work hand in hand with journalists at publications around the world, generating stories, creative campaigns and ideas based on a thorough understanding of what makes online media tick.
Press Box PR is an agency with the buzz of a busy newsroom. It’s a place where you get out what you put in, with regular social events and a commitment to ensuring staff all benefit in career terms and financially from the growth they drive.
About the role
Press Box PR are looking for an individual with experience spanning digital consumer, news, lifestyle and trending/SEO journalism.
You will be responsible for designing and delivering Press Box PR’s coverage in this area, as part of the consumer/news team reporting into Press Box PR’s editorial PR lead and Managing Director & Founder.
Your primary objective will be to create unique stories that your media contacts love, based on your knowledge of what works best for them as a publisher, plugging clients into the news agenda.
You’ll have a blank canvas to carry out your own exclusive feature research, crunching numbers and data to come up with fresh angles on the biggest trending topics.
You’ll also be given regular opportunities to identify and interview talent, as well as making use of a range of PR tactics in order to secure best-in-class online coverage.
You will also be encouraged to nurture media relationships, getting to know key journalists and editors in order to maximise the value you add to their newsgathering process. You will be expected to successfully pitch your peers and contacts at journalist and editor level at major outlets, as well as continually searching for new publications to land coverage in and build relationships with.
Ultimately, you will be given the support and autonomy to exceed expectations by delivering outstanding online media coverage you would be proud to have your own byline on and would share yourself.
You’ll be given training and support to learn the non-editorial side of the job at your own pace, safe in the knowledge that through your understanding of media, creativity and contacts book, you’re already an expert in the most important aspects of the job.
- At least 3 years’ experience as a consumer, news or lifestyle journalist/editor at a major mainstream online news publication
- A network of relevant online consumer, news & lifestyle journalist & editor contacts - and an ability to grow more
- The ability to generate online media coverage on behalf of brands, products and spokespeople
- Experience sourcing and interviewing celebrities and other spokespeople
- Editorial judgement in online consumer, lifestyle and news beats
- Creative flair and an ability to turn data, ideas and trends into stories
- An understanding of online publishing and ability to design and pitch stories successfully to journalists and editors both from warm and cold relationships
- The ability to generate SEO-friendly online media coverage & write SEO-friendly articles
- An understanding of how PR works to complement journalists and the news/content gathering process
- A desire to use editorial/journalism skills to make a move into public relations
- Experience in managing senior stakeholders and clients
- Experience as an editor/managing a team
- Experience working with commercial departments and brands
- Experience with tools such as Google Trends, Meltwater, Buzzsumo, Gorkana, CloudTangle & Buzzstream
- Commercial/sales experience
- Experience in pitching, commercial copywriting and design of presentations and other reporting/sales materials
- Basic understanding of SEO, public relations and content marketing strategies
- Educational qualifications within journalism e.g. NCTJ qualified
Salary, benefits & perks
- £28,000-£35,000 DOE
- Company pension
- Competitive annual bonus
- 30 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Company laptop, phone and/or tech allowance
- Company gym membership
- Regular social & training events
- Opportunity to work on a flexible basis from our new, thriving London office in Hatton Garden with colleagues and clients
To apply please email email@example.com by latest 23:59pm on Tuesday 30th November 2021.
Please include your CV and short covering letter of no more than 350 words, outlining relevant experiences and successes. Also, please include a top line coverage idea based on a trending topic in the news/lifestyle/consumer spaces.
Press Box PR encourages applications from a diverse range of backgrounds, does not require applicants to have a University education and will support applicants from outside of London to cover costs associated with interviews.