We seek a senior editor, reporting to the Editor, to take overall responsibility for our commentary and culture coverage. In digital terms, this individual will work out how we can win the internet on culture and do meaningful commentary and engagement with readers online. In print terms, this individual will edit the Views section, which will include commissioning comment and running the columnists, and editing Feedback.
New Scientist is the world’s leading weekly science and technology magazine. With teams based in London, the US and Australia, and also thriving events and courses businesses, we lead the way in the very best of science and technology journalism.
We now seek an exceptional, highly motivated and extremely organised individual to join our senior editorial team as Culture and Comment Editor. This is a senior role, reporting to the Editor, with print, digital and management responsibilities in editorial, and the successful candidate will also be expected to work with colleagues across the company to help deliver New Scientist’s ambitious plans for the future.
This is a hands-on role at the heart of our editorial team. You will have overall responsibility for the magazines Views and Back Pages sections, as well as for the future of our culture and community content online.
You will need strong editing experience and ideally management experience, and a deep interest in current events and popular culture as well as science and technology. This position will be based in our London office.
- Overall responsibility for the Views and Back Pages sections, in terms of content, look and feel, and also the editors who work directly on these pages
- To directly commission and editor the Comment piece every week for the magazine, and any other comment across all our platforms
- Commissioning of our Aperture slot, and working with picture desk to develop online pictorial content across all our platforms
- Manage weekly and monthly budget and invoicing
- Work with teams across New Scientist to help win commercial business and also to achieve our strategic plans for subscriptions growth
- Work closely with marketing as well as editorial on growing our audience
- Work closely with the digital team and technology team to develop & deliver new digital products
- Work to develop our columnist’s impact online
- Work to develop impactful, online iterations of our community-generated content sections including the last word and letters
- Directly commission and edit Feedback
Required skills, experience and aptitudes:
- Experience of editing and commission news or features at a national level
- Someone who is keen to evolve as a manager and leader
- Excellent collaborator who enjoys working in small teams
- An interest in improving and growing a product
- A passion for current affairs and popular culture
- A strong commercial instinct
New Scientist is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applications to New Scientist will receive due consideration regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
As an organisation, we strive for empathy, self-awareness, courage and integrity, collaboration, innovation and information seeking. All applications are reviewed in an anonymous nature and hiring managers are unable to see the personal information of applicants. This practice allows us to review skills and experience and removes bias from the recruitment process. We aim to create an inclusive environment, empowering employees and embracing diversity. We welcome all applications.