Assistant Digital Night Editor
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland, our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS.
Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. In 2022 we will launch talkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show.
Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning digital and print, audio and video, events and experiences, our brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
The Sun Online: is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK - and still growing! - with a young, talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz and lifestyle.
Your Role: Our night team is a pivotal part of our operation, tasked with preparing and publishing newspaper content while maintaining the live publishing operation to the same high standard as throughout the day. We need a talented, committed production journalist to help lead this team
- Assisting the night editor and deputy night editor in publishing thesun.co.uk throughout the night at the same standard as the daytime operation
- Editing our homepage across the rota as required
- Helping to manage the building of paper content, following instruction from Digital Editor and Digital Night Editor and using initiative to decide how presentation can fully maximise traffic
- Overseeing breaking news and getting stories out on our platforms
- Editing live stories, writing headlines, liaising with Social, SEO, Print and all editorial departments
- Briefing team which stories to build and how to present, ensuring they are done as quickly as possible and then checking and polishing
- Using analytics to make editing decisions
- Fully aware of legal issues and the PCC Code of Conduct
Key Skills and Experience:
- Digital newspaper experience on a national title
- Unflappable under pressure and delivers work at a consistently high standard
- Pro-active and displays a willingness to take on any task
- Positive attitude and good team player
- Takes initiative in order to achieve desired results
- Self-starter, organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the The Sun brand, both print and digital
- Flexibility to work across 7 day shared rota
Life at News: We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes.
We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- Generous holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.