IMIX supports the refugee and migration sector to shift public attitudes on migration and create an open and welcoming Britain for people who make the UK their home. We believe that public attitudes towards refugees and migrants will only improve by working collaboratively to influence the political, media, public debate.
We are seeking an experienced communicator to work across Birmingham, Coventry and the West Midlands to support the refugee and migration sector to reach new audiences with positive stories of change. We’re looking for someone who really understands the importance of collaboration and how to use a variety of channels to reach a target audience. Ideally, you’ll have worked with journalists before, or worked in the media yourself, and know how to pitch stories and prepare people for interviews.
This role is home-based. You’ll be expected to travel quarterly to London for meetings, as well as occasional travel across the UK for in-person training.
If you appreciate audience insight, the importance of value-based messaging and why story telling matters when encouraging people to act, we’d love to hear from you. We are particularly keen to hear from people with lived experience of migration.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Supporting the sector to increase the quantity and quality of communications outputs through training, mentoring and 1-2-1 advice
- Press outreach and liaison
- Coordinating and facilitating meetings between partner organisations to respond to local, regional or national issues and opportunities
- Creating content for multiple channels to tell stories of integration
- Working with experts by experience to ensure their voices are heard
- Working on messaging to highlight the experience of destitution
- Pitching regularly to local and national media outlets
- How local and regional media operates
- Knowledge and understanding of the charity sector in the West Midlands
- Integrated communications, audience insight and targeting
- Understanding of or empathy with the refugee and migration sector
- Excellent written English
- Ability to coach others
- Good listening skills
- Sensitivity in handling complex stories
- Ability to maintain positive relationships
- Strong communication, collaboration and influencing
- Good planning skills with ability to manage priorities
- Working with journalists or content creators
- Writing blogs, press releases, articles or comment pieces
- Developing campaigns targeting specific audiences
- Storytelling and case study generation to encourage others to act
- Delivering training to build capacity in others
To apply please submit a CV and cover letter. Interviews will be held via zoom.
If you would like an informal discussion to learn more about the role please email the media team: email@example.com