Location: i Headquarters – London
Position: Maternity Cover
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
i is looking for a Foreign Editor to join our growing newsroom on a 12-month maternity contract.
The successful candidate will develop our world news coverage across i’s digital and print editions. A fascination for world news is a given, alongside an instinct for what interests British readers. Our foreign coverage ranges from in-depth analysis of complex moving stories to lighter human interest. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an ambitious team at a key moment in i’s growth.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
- Leading foreign coverage for i’s digital and print editions, including copy tasting, commissioning from staff and freelancers, editing copy and liaising with other editors in the newsroom.
- Working with freelancers and other desk editors on foreign news features, original stories and investigations, including for i’s flagship weekend edition.
- Presenting story ideas to editors at conference.
- Planning and anchoring major events such as elections, conflicts and international crises.
- Turning round rapidly developing stories, analysis or explainers for maximum impact with our online audience.
- Experience on the foreign desk of a national news publisher or foreign reporting experience, ideally with an overseas posting under their belt.
- A deep knowledge and understanding of major global news, with excellent judgement.
- An ability to write and edit news and features quickly and to deadline.
- Incisive analytical skills and the ability to offer readers pithy opinion and analysis that gets behind the headlines. Approach the news agenda in a creative and original manner.
- Understanding of the unique demands of digital and print publishing.
- The ability to communicate effectively with other colleagues in the newsroom including senior editors.
- The ability to react quickly and confidently to rapidly developing international events.
- A commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
dmg media’s brands deliver highly engaging, trusted content to millions of loyal customers around the globe, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Together, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Metro, i, MailOnline, Mail Plus, metro.co.uk and inews.co.uk reach more than 11m people daily in the UK.* Globally, our brands reach 180m unique browsers every month.** In March 2021, the business acquired the world’s leading science title, New Scientist.
dmg media’s newsbrands are expert at getting to the bottom of the stories most relevant to their readers.
*PAMCo 1 2020 ** Omniture April 2021
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.