Title: Deputy editor, By Invitation, The Economist
To help ensure that The Economist's section for outside contributions offers a range of insightful pieces across cultural, financial, political, business, technological, economic and social topics that appeal to a variety of different audiences. Some guest articles should reinforce aspects of our existing coverage, others will prove more idiosyncratic.
This is a hybrid role that involves navigating both internal commissioning and editing processes and communicating effectively with guest authors to build a steady pipeline of contributions.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced editor who can work with outside contributors to plan and publish clear, crisp, well-argued pieces. Excellent news judgment, analytical rigour, appropriate tact and intellectual curiosity will be required. The deputy editor should also have the capability to run the team while the editor of By Invitation is away. Experience of running opinion or commentary sections would be useful but is not a requirement.
Interested candidates should submit a 500-word memo outlining what role they see By Invitation playing as part of The Economist’s overall proposition. What changes should be made to By Invitation? And why?
Areas of responsibility include:
- Offering ideas for guest authors, debates and series
- Preparing first edits of submitted pieces for the editor of By Invitation to see
- Contacting prospective guest authors and arranging commissioning calls
- Overseeing the preparation of documentation required to commission external guests and to publish their work
- Liaising with guests over illustrations
- Monitoring social media, opinion pages and other outlets for themes and news
- Attending regular team meetings and ideas meetings
- Liaising with The Economist’s editors and correspondents to generate ideas for series, authors and news pegs
- Aiding with pipeline generation and organisation
- Assisting the editor of By Invitation
- To build to publishing one major offering from By Invitation a week, be that a piece from a distinctive voice on a topical issue or the publication of a thematic series
- To engage subscribers and convert non-subscribers with high-quality, thought-provoking contributions that complement, deepen and even challenge The Economist's own journalism
- To ensure that By Invitation becomes one of the world’s most exciting, and most renowned, forums for the exchange of ideas
Key relationships include:
- Editor of By Invitation
- Digital editor
- Senior digital editors
Closing date: December 17th 2021
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.