Recruiter The Stage
Location: Bermondsey Street, London SE1
Salary: £28,000 to £32,000, DoE
Sector: B2B, Entertainment, Trade Publication
Discipline Production: Sub-Editors
Job Type: Full time
Hours: Full Time
The Stage, the leading publication for the UK theatre industry, has an excellent full-time opportunity for an experienced, multi-skilled deputy production editor who is highly proficient working across print and web and would be confident supervising a busy, fast-moving production desk.
The successful candidate will possess first-class copy-subbing and layout skills, a flair for writing eye-grabbing headlines and have proven experience of meeting production deadlines. The role requires a collaborative, proactive and flexible individual who will supervise the department in the production editor's absence and be a supportive member of the team at all times.
We're looking for a first-rate senior sub-editor with excellent InDesign and Photoshop skills, extensive experience of web publishing platforms and a good understanding of SEO. The role has a strong involvement with social media, so you'll need to be adept at crafting Twitter and Facebook posts, as well as a meticulous proofreader who will ensure the highest levels of accuracy in accordance with house style.
As deputy production editor, you will be reporting to The Stage’s production editor. Work will be split evenly across web and print. An interest and knowledge of UK theatre would be beneficial, and experience of supervising a team highly desirable.
Above all, the role demands a rigorous and reliable attention to detail, a careful and considered editorial judgement and the ability to ensure the smooth delivery of print and web deadlines to the highest standards.
Main purpose of the role:
- To sub and publish content across The Stage's web and print publications, ensuring that quality meets the highest levels of accuracy and house style.
- To support the production editor in overseeing and upholding the quality and efficiency of the production process.
- To deputise in the production editor’s absence and steer the dept towards the smooth delivery of print and web deadlines.
Key responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to editorial production, following quality, house style and speed of delivery requirements.
- Sub and post copy to the website using The Stage's web publishing platform.
- Sub and lay out allocated pages for weekly paper using InDesign, with flair and attention to detail.
- Deputise for production editor as necessary.
- Proofread copy ahead of publication.
- Liaise with printers, contributors and members of the company as necessary.
- Assist with training freelancers and other staff.
- Supporting members of the production team as necessary.
For a full job description, please see available documents for download via the below application link.
Applicants should have a good knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, with excellent InDesign and Photoshop skills in particular, and an extensive experience of web publishing platforms, eg Wordpress, and social media tools. Applicants should also possess an exacting eye for detail, be unflappable under pressure and have the ability to prioritise tasks and work on their own initiative as well as part of a team.
A journalism qualification is required. Please note, while the role involves writing tasks including headlines and social media posts, this is not a writing role. It will suit an experienced, multi-skilled sub-editor ready for their next role or a deputy production editor ready for a new challenge as part of a busy and flexible production department.
To apply to this vacancy, click ‘Apply’ below and follow the steps under ‘How to apply’.
The deadline for applications is January 11th, 2022.
The company is committed to Equal Opportunities in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Home working is supported, but, circumstances allowing, the role will primarily be based in the office (approx. 3 days a week in the office).
Please note we are not able to accept recruitment agency CVs for this role. Any CVs sent speculatively will not be eligible for a fee.
- Based in the heart of London Bridge
- Access to our discounts’ portal
- Membership to Employee Assistance Programme
- Annual season ticket loan
- Life Insurance