The Eastern Daily Press (EDP) is the leading source of local news in Norfolk and Waveney and through its newspaper, website, e-edition and social media channels we engage massive audiences every day and have been since 1870. Our specialist reporting team has a rare opening for a Deputy News Editor to help shape the daily content to attract even more readers.
You will join our Specialist News Editor – who has a wealth of experience having worked on national daily titles and launched a new national newspaper. He has now come back to work for us at Archant because of the different way we are doing things.
It is an exciting opportunity to learn new skills, understand what a reader really wants to read by learning from our unique data and insights team, and help to coach and support our journalists to produce the right content. You will also be at the heart of our exciting new digital strategy in 2022 to encourage people to pay for our content through our new apps.
If you like the idea of a new adventure and going on the journey with us, then you may be right for this role. This role is working 75 hours over a 2-week shift pattern from our offices in Norwich.
MORE ABOUT US:
We at Archant do things differently and want people who like to do things differently to come and join us.
We are one of the only publishers in the country that has a voice activated news search archive that is linked through Google.
We have an award-winning Investigations Team that spends a serious amount of time working on in-depth quality journalism that really does hold power to account.
And we are moving to a new newsroom organisation that allows our journalists more time to spend on writing quality stories.
YOU WILL HAVE:
- Newsroom experience to at least senior reporter/chief-reporter level
- Experience of using data and analytics
- Understanding of best practice processes, workflows, measurement, and output
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- People-management and leadership skills
- Effective communication skills able to cascade information with urgency
- Keen nose for relevant national and regional concerns and issues
- Ability to motivate a team and bring out the best of those around them
- Preference to work under pressure/deadlines and be able to prioritise
- Full knowledge of media law, IPSO and Code of Practice
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary: £30,000
- Full 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off !!
- Structured career progression, ongoing training and personal performance reviews
- Full range of benefits including
- Generous sick pay scheme
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Health and wellbeing support (GP appointments)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Annual Volunteer work day
- Archant Gold – matched charity fundraising
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click Apply now and send your completed application.
Please note that if you have not been invited in for an interview within two weeks of your application, then you can assume on this occasion that you have been unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to change the closing date at any time during the recruitment process, so please apply asap as we will be dealing with applications as soon as they arrive.