Practical Boat Owner is the biggest selling boating title in the UK for over 50 years, providing a unique blend of helpful advice and in-depth information for every kind of yachtsman; power or sail.
Today, as well as PBO magazine, PBO.co.uk is a trusted and valued source of useful and helpful information for boat owners, both power and sail, helping them get the most from their chosen leisure activity.
We are looking for a talented Features Editor to join our passionate and committed team.
Reporting to the Editor, you’ll be responsible for commissioning and writing best-in-class content every month that works for readers and is delivered on time and to budget.
As the Features Editor you are pivotal to generating must-read ideas that keep the magazine and website fresh and surprise and delight readers month-in, month-out. Whether it’s news, gear or practical advice-based features you’ll be the driving force behind making them a success.
The job requires attention to detail, good organisation skills, a calm approach and self-discipline.
Please note, applicants will be asking to complete a practical task during the interview process.
- Management and delivery of the Regulars section of the magazine including Letters, Columnists and New Gear
- Management, editing and sub editing of reader contributed content to deliver high quality, well written Ask the Experts pages and Practical Projects pages every month
- Commission and/or write appropriate news and regional news
- Management of Practical Boat Owner’s Facebook page
- Upload relevant content to PBO.co.uk
- Assist team with gear testing occasionally
- Deputise for Editor during absences
- Be responsible for and deliver any administrative tasks set by senior staff
- A passion for sailing or boating
- At least one year of experience of working in publishing or journalism
- Excellent sub-editing skills
- Strong magazine craft, including an understanding of how to tell a story and communicate complex information in words and/or pictures
- Ability to think commercially
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- A commitment to quality and tireless dedication to improvement
- A solid understanding of the sailing and boating industry
- Proven ability to write high-quality engaging, relevant content
- Knowledge of digital content approaches, including websites, social media channels and email newsletters
- Ability to work as part of a wider team
- Excellent communication skills
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees (when we get back to the office)
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
Future is a global multi-platform media company and leading digital publisher, with scalable brands and diversified revenue streams. We are dedicated to connecting over 300 million people worldwide with their passions, through expert content, world-class events and cutting-edge proprietary technology. We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives.
We have a market-leading portfolio of over 220 brands spanning across technology, gaming, TV & entertainment, women’s lifestyle, music, sport, creative and photography, home interest and B2B. You may have heard of us…
But a stellar heritage isn’t enough. We continue to grow our portfolio and launch new brands, restlessly looking to improve, innovate and push the boundaries of what can be done. We develop leading-edge technology which is disrupting the media marketplace.
Together, we’re exceeding the expectations of everyone we exist for – our audiences, clients, staff and shareholders. In a short space of time, Future has transformed into an innovative global media platform.
We reap the rewards too, of course, with a fun and creative place to work with endless opportunities to forge a career. We believe in teamwork that transcends location, so we don’t have a Future HQ but a globally connected workforce across the UK, US, Europe and Australia
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!
Inclusion & Diversity
At Future we are passionate about ensuring that as a business, we are continuing to promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do.
Future is an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values which will continue to ensure that all applicants, current and future employees are treated with respect and fairness.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers.