The Wall Street Journal is looking for a senior video journalist to join its YouTube video team. Video journalists in this group produce a mix of topical and evergreen videos on specific subject areas, original features and series typically ranging from three to eight minutes in length. You should have an extensive professional background in video journalism, demonstrate exceptional story development and scriptwriting and have professional experience with shooting, editing and animation. A deep familiarity with YouTube and social video are essential.
This is a new team, so we're looking for journalists who can juggle tasks and projects and thrive in a dynamic environment. You will also collaborate across the Journal's newsroom. Please note, this is not an entry-level position, and it is not a position producing documentaries. You should be able to show successful executions of timely news projects and longer-lead formats.
In this role, you will report to the supervising producer on the YouTube team. You will start this job remotely but will eventually be based in our New York office.
To apply, please submit a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key requirements. Please also include links to five videos that represent the type of work described and the role played for each story. Feel free to also include links to any relevant YouTube channels you particularly like or regularly watch.
- Pitch, develop, research, report and write stories in partnership with WSJ journalists
- Shoot and edit videos in-studio and in the field
- Produce and edit motion graphics
- Partner with reporters and editors across the newsroom to identify and produce timely video news pieces that are visually distinctive and of interest to the WSJ audience
- Create and develop a variety of formats, including "explainers," on-location features and new original series
- Ensure that all journalistic and legal standards are followed
- Be adept with studio lighting setups and field shoots
- Create derivative works for other social video platforms
- Be able to work late hours and weekends both as part of a regular weekend rotation and as news developments may warrant
- At least five years' experience producing videos in a daily news environment, preferably at a global news organization
- An ability to tell stories in creative ways using high-quality video and graphics
- A proven ability to manage every aspect of video production from start to finish
- A deep understanding of, and interest in, The Wall Street Journal's core topic areas as well as strong editorial judgment and broad knowledge and interest in current events and news
- Experience using multiple camera setups, including the Sony FS5, FS7, a7S
- A professional-level understanding of Adobe Suite, with a high level of expertise in Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience producing quality video content efficiently and, often, under tight deadline constraints
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 27701