The Wall Street Journal is looking for a senior video journalist to join our news and specials unit as part of a breaking news team. Video journalists in this group produce topical and timely news-focused videos.
Top candidates for this position will have a professional background in video journalism, demonstrate exceptional shooting and editing skills, and have experience with graphics. In this role you will juggle many tasks and cover the day's news events across a variety of subjects. Adding depth and context to a story and bringing challenging topics to life visually under deadline pressure is a crucial part of this job. Please note, this is not an entry-level position and it is not a position producing documentaries. Because this is a role focused on producing timely news coverage, you need to show successful projects that have been done in just a few hours and stand out in the 24/7 information cycle.
You will report to the Senior Supervising Producer on the News & Specials team. You will start this job remotely but will eventually be based in our New York office.
To apply, please submit a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, along with links to five videos that represent the type of work described.
- Research, write and produce timely news coverage and topical analysis on a daily basis
- Work with editorial leaders in all coverage areas to ensure that The Journal's deep reporting and expert analysis is reflected in every video
- Coach beat reporters and news editors in person and remotely to appear on camera or in voiceover
- Ensure that all journalistic and legal standards are followed
- Work late hours and weekends as part of a regular rotation and as political events and news developments may warrant
- Monitor feeds and breaking news events
- Complete additional responsibilities as assigned
- At least five years' experience working in a daily news environment
- Experience producing compelling business, tech, politics and general news videos under tight deadline constraints
- Knowledge of current events, U.S. politics, economics, and a nose for news
- Professional experience writing scripts for news stories under tight time constraints
- Skills using multiple camera setups, including the Sony FS5, FS7, C100 and C300
- Adeptness with studio lighting setups
- Professional competency editing with Adobe Premiere
- Basic graphics experience using After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator
- The ability to be a clear communicator with exceptional written and collaboration skills
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 24715