Dow Jones Newswires seeks an experienced reporter to report on and provide daily analysis of the energy markets at a time of huge change amid the transition to sustainability, and as companies and traded assets pivot in new directions.
The reporter will cover core benchmark oil and gas markets in real time, sending headlines on big moves and explaining them in context. More than ever, the focus of reporting will also be on the energy-transition space, including carbon trading, green energy tech and the nexus of markets, business and policy.
The role requires writing short and long-form analysis of market moves and key developments. The job holder will be expected to develop a strong contact list, interview key stakeholders and write longer-form stories across Dow Jones platforms. While the focus will be on real-time coverage for Dow Jones Newswires, reporting will feed into the Wall Street Journal and WSJ Pro verticals with an emphasis on Pro Sustainable Business.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of three-years' experience reporting on financial markets, ideally in a real-time news environment. The ideal person for the role will have excellent news judgement, the ability to cut through jargon and write strong, clear copy, and exhibit a strong sense of the real-time needs of professional customers.
Knowledge of energy markets and/or commodities markets will be a distinct advantage, as will an interest and understanding of data journalism.
The reporter should aspire to generate scoops from energy traders, investors and regulators, and to cover breaking news likely to affect the supply and demand balance. He or she will be responsible for covering key industry reports from the International Energy Agency, OPEC and other organisations, and will provide backup coverage of other resources such as metals, softs and agricultural commodities.
This is a key role with huge scope and exposure for the right candidate, at a pivotal time for the whole energy ecosystem
- Exercises exceptional news judgment and is able to deliver fast-paced coverage of breaking markets news.
- Demonstrates the ability to write clearly for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, structure, balance and fairness.
- Draws on experience of prior financial reporting to quickly assess, prioritize and deliver headlines and analysis of market moves.
- Upholds Dow Jones standards and ethics and shows a good understanding of Dow Jones Newswires' mission and the needs of its core subscribers.
- Helps connect the content with the audience, and also with the broader newsroom.
- Ability to build out contacts book.
- Possesses a well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to remain calm under pressure.
- Prioritizes tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Meets deadlines.
- Understands workflow beyond his or her own needs.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- General awareness of how a newsroom works.
- Functions well within a team.
- Wants to learn new skills.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 29086