The Telegraph needs a thoughtful and creative video journalist to join our growing audio-visual storytelling unit. This role would involve a combination of video edit production (80-90%) and on-location filming (10-20%). The role will involve a shift pattern of early, late, day and weekend shifts.
Please note: this is a six month fixed-term contract position.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- To be across our various sources of video content, including agency feeds and social media, hunting for the best video stories.
- To react quickly to breaking news, sourcing relevant video content or working with our partners to do so.
- To script, edit and produce short-form video content to provide our platforms with best-in-class visual storytelling.
- To self-shoot films on location, including interviews, short features and mini-documentaries.
- Basic operation of our own in-house studio facilities - camera operation and basic lighting/vision and audio mixing.
- To source, edit and deliver content and all associated metadata in a fast and efficient manner while maintaining excellent editorial standards.
- To distribute video articles effectively in The Telegraph’s CMS including writing text to accompany video files and curating video stories in correct article pages.
- To frequently construct and deliver complicated creative edits to tight deadlines using multiple editing tools like Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
- Journalism background which has allowed you to develop strong news judgement with the proven ability to know what makes great video news content.
- Video production background.
- Full knowledge of media law. You will ideally have a journalistic (rather than technical) background.
- Excellent news and current affairs knowledge.
- Video editing skills for digital output (Adobe Premiere and After Effects preferred)
- Ability to work quickly to meet deadlines, but also to think creatively about original new ways to tell stories through video.
- Ability to contribute to and communicate ideas and planning lists to senior editorial colleagues.
- Deep understanding of the competitive landscape for social video, as well as emerging platforms. (Desirable)
- Experience of setting up the logistics for a video shoot. (Desirable)
- Videography skills. (Desirable)
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.