Construction News is the leading provider of news, insight, and events for the UK construction industry. We cover nationally important topics including large-scale infrastructure development, significant construction projects and major housebuilding developments across the UK. Our subscribers are business managers within the sector, who rely on the information we provide to help shape their strategies and inform their business decisions.
The CN team produces frequent news stories ever day of the working week, as well as a monthly print magazine focused on strategic business topics. The CN brand is long established and has a loyal and highly engaged audience of paying subscribers, as well as a large volume of online visitors.
As Production Editor you will play a vital role in maintaining the quality of CN’s output, working to ensure that everything we publish across digital and print outlets is readable, informative and accurate – and also grabs the reader’s attention.
- Support CN’s core goal of delivering news and feature material of consistently high quality, meeting the information needs of our audience across print, digital and social media platforms
- Speedy, accurate copy editing of articles in Wordpress for online publication, applying a consistent style and optimising the use of different page elements to convey information and draw attention
- Production editing of CN’s monthly print magazine, overseeing all pages through from initial layout through proofing to final press
- Working with the editorial team and freelance designers to create high-impact print layouts and imaginative cover concepts
- Assisting CN’s news team in the preparation of daily email newsletters
- Scheduling the publication of content to appear at the most effective times
- Planning ahead to ensure CN always has sufficient production capacity, booking freelance subs and designers as required within budgets set by the editor
- Promoting CN content through appropriate social media channels
- Monitoring analytics and reporting back to the wider CN team on a regular basis
Skills and Requirements:
- We are looking for a capable production professional who is keen to take charge of print and digital output
- Ideally, you will have experience of subbing news and features for a fast-paced B2B publication
- The role includes sub-editing and fact-checking, so both a keen eye and sharp mind will be essential, as you will typically be the last person to touch a story before publication
- You will also require the confidence to question reporters and editors whenever copy is unclear
- Basic layout skills would be an asset, as would an eye for effective picture selection
- An interest in the built environment or experience with a technical, financial or business publication would be useful
- You will have or will need to develop expertise in interpreting web analytics
- Familiarity with using social media to support a subscriber publication would also be welcome
Please submit your application through by Tuesday 18th January 2022