WE ARE IMMEDIATE
Paying up to - £29,000
Maternity Cover - 12 Months
Immediate Media is the special interest content and platform company. We own and operate some of the best-loved brands in the UK including Radio Times, BBC Good Food and BBC History. And we only focus on special interest markets, engaging over 82 million passionate consumers globally each month, offering them world-class content and innovative new products and services.
We sum up our mission in three words: Content. Passion. Engagement. Our focus is to help our audiences get the most out of the things they love, whatever they spend their time and energy on. Our people are as passionate about their subjects as our consumers. We’re focussed on growth across our business are constantly looking for new and exciting ways to innovate.
We pride ourselves on our open, collaborative and dynamic culture which encourages people to thrive, and give their best whilst being supported, developed and nurtured. As we care about our people, our environment and the impact we make, we have an active Diversity & Inclusion network, comprehensive well-being programmes, and clear sustainability strategies.
For us, it’s really important to connect with our people, particularly as we’re all remote right now. So, we’ve developed a programme of events, workshops and webinars with a rich and diverse mix of content to appeal to everyone.
A BIT ABOUT THE ROLE
BBC Gardeners' World Magazine and our website, GardenersWorld.com, engage with millions of gardening consumers every month. We marked our 30th anniversary this year with the strongest-ever performance, market-leading results, deepening engagement with our audience and award-winning content. We're looking for an exceptional individual to join us at an exciting stage in our development, to help us transform into a world-class provider across multiple formats of inspirational content, learning and ideas for every gardener.
The Content Coordinator will support the senior editors of BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine and GardenersWorld.com in creating premium-quality content for publication across GW platforms, including print, online and digital. You’ll be working hands-on in a production capacity to keep content output flowing at all times, and to prevent production bottlenecks. The Content Coordinator must bring proven expertise in creating cross-platform content, along with strong editing skills and a genuine passion for gardening.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- To create, and coordinate the creation by senior Editors of, premium-quality content for the print and digital editions of BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine and for GardenersWorld.com. Including:
- To edit, and support the senior editors in creating, copy fit for publication in print, digital edition or online, with particular attention to the accuracy of horticultural and gardening content
- To generate sparky headlines, standfirsts, pull quotes and picture captions that meet the aims of the original brief and expectations of the audience
- To collate and organise images ready for briefing content with the art department, under the direction of the editors and Picture Editor
- To brief content with the art department under the direction of the editors and, where appropriate, approve layouts
- To brief the sub-editing team, under the direction of the editors, on what’s required to bring content to completion – whether in print, mobile or online
- To check copy, images and magazine page proofs under the direction of the editors. Checking for accuracy, mistakes and potential improvements
- To write and create appropriate social media posts for magazine-related content
- To research and interview relevant subjects for all formats – creating content for print, digital and podcast including taking part in recorded interviews and directing all necessary edits, plus accompanying social media.
- To work in the website’s Content Management System to create online content ready to publish, subject to sign-off from a senior editor
- To occasionally attend industry events, if required, representing the magazine professionally
- To understand and comply with BBC Editorial Guidelines and BBC Studios Commercial Guidelines to help ensure our magazines and websites meet the values and standards of the BBC
- To comply with all relevant BBC Studios safety rules, procedures and guidelines and be aware of responsibilities under the BBC Studios safety policy
- To comply with BBC Studios policies on Diversity and applying the principles of the policy when carrying out the role
- Journalistic qualifications with appropriate experience producing magazine pages in industry standard IT software including Adobe suite and Microsoft Office
- Extensive experience of working on the editorial desk of a national consumer brand
- Highly literate and numerate, being a stickler for grammatical accuracy and detail in plant nomenclature, and never accepting ‘just good enough’
- Experience of editing copy, with the skill and understanding of how to make things correct without losing author’s tone of voice
- Experience of creating cross-format content in a consumer category – for print, digital, social and online
- Experience of editing copy for different formats – including in Word, Indesign and content management systems
- Experience of creating visually led magazine content, selecting relevant images to tell a story, working with magazine/graphic designers to realise these stories at layout and to meet the objectives of the brand editors
- A passion and genuine love for gardening – horticultural qualifications are desirable, gardening experience is essential
- Highly organised with good time management skills and the ability to prioritise workload to meet deadlines
- Team player. Will be used to working as part of a team to achieve results, demonstrating good communication, initiative and collaborative skills
- A relaxed working environment with regular socials including summer festival!
- Immediate Community webinars including Yoga, exercise, cooking classes and so much more!
- 25 Days holiday
- A progressive and transparent culture with clear career progression
- Flexible / Remote working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Competitive pension plans
- Life Assurance
People are at the heart of our business and creating a diverse and inclusive working environment is extremely important to us. Immediate is an equal opportunities employer. We will never treat anyone less favourably because of their sex, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, marital/civil partnerships, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, age, religion or belief or disability. We are also committed to supporting applications from those who are returning to work following a career break, maternity leave or caring responsibilities.
We’re committed to building a diverse group of talent with a broad range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities and will give full and fair consideration to all applicants. We know that flexibility is key to success and our people work flexibly in many different ways, so if this is important to you please let us know.