The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced Graphics Reporter to drive compelling visual stories for digital audiences.
You will work on both fast-turnaround and longer-term news and enterprise projects that cross a number of coverage areas, such as business, technology, finance, energy, health & science, and investigations. You will bring your own strong ideas and work with other visual journalists, editors and reporters to create information-rich news graphics, interactive stories, multimedia, and data visualizations. You will have the opportunity to develop a new or existing area of coverage expertise, but also work on a range of topics aligned with your visual and technical skills. We're looking for someone who is endlessly curious and comfortable in a role at the intersection of journalism, design, and technology.
While you may start this job remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office. You will report to one of our visual editors.
- Report, research, and build visual stories that might be assigned to you by an editor, an original pitch that you developed, or a collaboration with other reporters and editors.
- Identify and pitch visual opportunities for themes and news topics that are editorial priorities or timely off-the-news stories.
- Think broadly about the opportunities provided by integrating different formats, including video, photography, and graphics.
- Align the scope of work with deadline needs.
- Create smart user experiences for visual stories across WSJ platforms and external platforms.
- Help review and provide feedback on other visual stories that are created in the department.
- Help reporters and editors learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- Work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Experience working on digital storytelling projects that integrate different visual formats.
- Excellent visual journalism skills, including demonstrable design knowledge, both from a visual and user experience perspective.
- Expertise with Adobe design software.
- At least one or two specialties that might include 3D, animation or data visualization.
- Excellent knowledge of responsive design, the technical nuances of the digital landscape, and best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- Flexibility to work weekends or evenings as required by news needs
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 29609