As Money News Editor, you will be responsible for setting the agenda and the news output for Telegraph Money across digital and print. This role will focus on identifying the day’s most important stories and deciding how we are going to treat them. You will work closely with other desk editors, particularly News and Business, to ensure priorities and targets are met.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Identify, commission and edit money news with a focus on exclusives, original reporting and adding value to drive subscriptions.
- Liaise with the News and Business desks to make sure Money news stories are presented in the best way for different channels.
- Compile the morning news list and update it throughout the day.
- Monitor the wires, stock market announcements, rival publications, press releases and social media to spot opportunities for coverage and make sure nothing important is missed.
- Identify the best top line for the Telegraph audience.
- Generate original ideas for content.
- Manage deadlines and resources across multiple channels.
- Work alongside reporters to ensure fast and accurate filing of stories and encourage news awareness.
- Editing and rewriting stories as required to make fit for publication.
- Help develop campaigns and investigations.
- A proven leader with considerable experience working in journalism - across print and digital - at a national level.
- Proven experience of dealing with breaking news, commissioning analysis and delivering exclusives.
- Experience of managing reporters and getting the best out of them and their copy.
- Ability to edit, to write headlines and to sell a story.
- Ability to spot opportunities from an array of sources.
- A persuasive and excellent communicator.
- An enthusiastic, fast worker with an impeccable eye for detail.
- Understanding of the Telegraph audience and our editorial priorities.
- Highly numerically literate.
- Detailed knowledge of personal finance topics and contacts.
- Digitally savvy - understanding of digital storytelling and optimisation of content through social media and SEO.
- Understanding of analytics to help guide the commissioning process.
- Good eye for visuals - pictures, video and graphics to illustrate stories.
- Knowledge of both print and online production.
- Understanding of the Telegraph’s subscription model.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.