Application Editor - (12 month FTC)
Location: Metro Headquarters – London
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
Metro is looking for a full-time App Editor to join their London team to help deliver news, features, sport and video to a fast-growing app audience.
- Sub-edit and produce daily app editions to a high editorial standard
- Create and curate highly engaging content for daily app editions, ensuring our highly engaged user base is presented with a compelling final product
- Have a strong level of understanding and interest in current affairs, popular culture and sport
- Monitor short and long term app analytics to gauge success of editorial efforts and initiatives
- Monitor the competitive landscape, identify trends in app technology and news consumption
- Help to implement and develop Metro’s app audience development and engagement strategies
- Excellent standards of written English
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong sub-editing background and a flair for writing great headlines
- Strong news sense and confidence to curate and edit news
- Confidence to attend and report back app stats at daily editorial conference
- Firm understanding of Metro as a brand
- Willingness to work in a dynamic, fast-paced 24/7 news environment
- Prior experience with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign
- Prior experience with Content Management Systems, including WordPress
- Prior experience with push notifications is desirable
- Newsroom experience is essential
- Work productively within a team environment
- Prior analytics experience
- Understanding of media law and copyright law. Understanding of legal covenants such as the UK Editors’ Code of Practice
- Strong communication and people skills
- Rotating shift pattern, including lates, will be necessary
- Qualification in a journalism-related subject desirable
The above list is not exhaustive and constantly evolving, based on the needs of the business. Out of hours availability and a high level of adaptability are essential.
dmg media’s brands deliver highly engaging, trusted content to millions of loyal customers around the globe, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Together, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Metro, i, MailOnline, Mail Plus, metro.co.uk and inews.co.uk reach more than 11m people daily in the UK.* Globally, our brands reach 180m unique browsers every month.** In March 2021, the business acquired the world’s leading science title, New Scientist.
dmg media’s newsbrands are expert at getting to the bottom of the stories most relevant to their readers.
*PAMCo 1 2020 ** Omniture April 2021
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.