For over 160 years, The Telegraph’s stories, dispatches, interviews, and investigations have set the agenda, sparked debate, and provided generations of readers with a trusted source of news, information, and opinion.
Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers, by 2023, a vision we all stand behind. We wouldn’t be one of the world's most successful media organisations without the talent, determination, and creative spirit of our people. As our readers’ needs evolve, it's more important than ever that we recruit original thinkers and innovative individuals who can keep us at the forefront of our industry. That means not only journalists but also marketers, analysts, designers, engineers, and much more.
We want to foster the diversity of thought through our people, create inclusive working environments that allow everyone to be their authentic selves at work while creating a sense of belonging to ensure we have the highest performing teams.
About The Role
To support the Head of Digital Features and Head of Digital Lifestyle in leading the department’s drive for digital subscriptions and audience growth. To use insight to advise desks on how to best commission engaging subscription content, whilst creating innovative and optimal ways to publish and promote that content. This role will cover two areas of editorial (1) Features (2) Lifestyle - split 50:50 each week. Whilst this will be primarily a Monday to Friday role, hours must be flexible to cater to the news agenda.
- Work with the Head of Digital Features, Head of Digital Lifestyle and key editors to produce engaging subscriptions-driving digital content
- Ensure digital production of all Lifestyle and Features content is done to the highest standard and fully optimised to drive subscriptions, engagement and retention
- Assist the department heads to coordinate a daily, weekly and monthly digital planning and publishing schedule across the Lifestyle desks that works best for acquiring new subscribers and engaging existing ones
- Help plan the digital content package around key stories and major events
- Develop new and innovative methods of delivering Lifestyle articles, Features and magazine stories online (Telegraph Magazine and Stella) - in particular with regards to their format, visual treatment and headlines, as well as how they are promoted across all Telegraph platforms
- Support the launch of major new digital Lifestyle initiatives, including campaigns
- Work with the Homepage, Social Media, Community and Snapchat teams to ensure Lifestyle and Features content is promoted across all Telegraph platforms in the most effective ways
- Work with the SEO team and desk editors to plan and optimise content that can reach the largest possible audience of prospective subscribers, and to make the most out of our evergreen Lifestyle and Features archive.
- Work with the Head of Community to develop our engagement with readers through our journalism, on our own platforms and, where relevant, on other platforms
- Work with the Head of Audio & Films and desk editors to help deliver the highest quality Lifestyle and Features special video projects
- Use analytics to help desk editors understand the Telegraph’s digital Lifestyle and Features audience - who they are, what they’re interested in, and when, where, how and why they are accessing and interacting with our journalism - and build engagement and habits with the reader
- On occasion, attend conference to discuss the day’s digital Lifestyle agenda
- Cover for the Head of Digital Features and Head of Digital Lifestyle when they are away
- A passion for Lifestyle and Features journalism, paired with knowledge of key areas of lifestyle - from health to fashion, cars to food, homes to gardens
- Excellent editorial judgement - with the ability to write punchy digital headlines and the appreciation of the need for strong visuals
- Ability to work quickly and accurately to meet deadlines, but also to think creatively about original new ways to tell stories digitally
- Management experience
- Experience commissioning digital content is helpful
- Coordinating digital plans for major news events, optimising the best content from multiple areas of the newsroom
- Ability to build relationships at all levels of the newsroom
- Understanding of how to use data analytics, and of the nature of The Telegraph’s audience
- Understanding of how to build engagement with a digital audience
- Excellent command of Social Media, SEO and Video strategy
- Full knowledge of media law
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.