Job type: Two-year fixed-term contract
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
We are seeking experienced reporters, editors and multimedia experts to join our growing newsroom to help us launch a new website focusing on the impacts and opportunities presented by historic and current Muslim migration into Europe and the UK.
If you are a reporter, editor and/or multimedia expert seeking a new challenge we offer competitive rates and flexible working opportunities across the full journalistic spectrum, including news reporting, feature writing, long reads and audio/visual content.
We are seeking digital journalists who can combine in-depth reporting with vivid storytelling and an instinct for stories about this important topic.
- Propose, research, report, and write insightful and well-contextualised features, occasional analyses as well as news stories drawn from the Greater London area.
- On occasion, produce swift “turnaround” stories.
- Develop and use multimedia tools to amplify, illustrate and promote a story or feature, including creative use of social media to communicate our journalism to a wide audience.
- Maintain regular and clear communication with editors to ensure all are properly briefed on activities and work schedules.
- Candidates should have a robust insight into the impacts, aspirations and influences associated with historic and current Muslim migration into the Greater London area — across political, social, economic and civil society fields as well as sport, business, arts and lifestyle.
- Candidates should have at least 5-10 years’ reporting experience with solid contacts and a history of generating original and compelling story ideas.
- Evidence of producing exclusive stories and features which have been followed up by other media.
- Excellent reporting and writing skills across shorter and feature length stories.
- Must be able to demonstrate sound journalistic practice such as balance, careful sourcing, fairness and an awareness of potential legal liabilities (contempt, libel etc) attached to public interest journalism.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a target audience using all the tools available to experienced digital journalists.
- A knowledge of how to exploit a story or feature at the commissioning stage on a wide range of digital platforms.
- Work collaboratively with other reporters and editors.
- Ability to convey a complex story from ideation to planning and execution.
30 days paid leave per year.
Working from home or in-person reporting with some days in our London office.
Applicants should email a CV, cover letter and relevant examples of their work.
Deadline for applications: February 14, 2022