Construction News is the leading brand for people working in construction and infrastructure delivery. At the heart of what we do is our fast-paced news coverage, breaking need-to-know stories on nationally important topics – from the post-Grenfell cladding scandal to progress on HS2 to the latest financial results of major listed companies.
Our day-to-day reporting covers a fascinating range of topics – on a single day we might cover football stadium redevelopment plans, the latest political arguments about infrastructure projects, the mental health crisis among construction workers, or new technologies to tackle carbon emissions. We pride ourselves on high-quality coverage across the full breadth of relevant subjects. Our agenda-setting news stories have regularly won awards and are often cited in the national media.
Senior leaders in the construction industry look to us every day as a source of trustworthy information and insight into a vibrant, exciting industry.
As News Editor you will play a key role in shaping the day-to-day output of Construction News. You will also line-manage in-house reporters.
You will directly oversee CN’s digital-first news output. This means chairing the daily news meeting and deciding which stories to pursue, co-ordinating reporting across the team. You will also assess which stories are the most important and should lead our output in both digital and print formats.
At heart, this role offers a fantastic opportunity to create brilliant content and inspire others. You will lead by example with your own journalism, setting a high standard for quality reporting that meets the needs of our highly engaged audience of paying subscribers. Construction is a nationally significant industry, and you will be in pole position to break big stories ahead of the mainstream media.
- Experienced journalist, ready to manage others as well as your own work.
- Familiar with writing news material for a business audience.
- Skilled at building and maintaining the contacts needed to deliver exclusive stories.
- Copy-editing skills to ensure stories have a sharp headline, strong angle, and a clear flow of facts.
- A working knowledge of journalism law.
- Ready to offer guidance to other writers on angles and approach.
- Experience of working with fast-paced, digital-first formats is preferable, as is familiarity with using analytics to boost page views.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Delivering news output of high quality, that meets the needs of CN’s audience across digital formats, social media and print.
- Maintaining a calendar of foreseeable news events and monitoring the output of rival media.
- Chairing daily news meetings, allocating stories, and tackling the first edit of news material.
- Managing your direct reports and guiding their development.
- Collaborating with the Production Editor to ensure material is speedily subbed and published, and that CN stories achieve their full potential using analytics and social media.
- Assisting with CN’s live events and webinars.
How to apply:
Please send you CV and a covering letter, including your salary expectations and notice period, plus 3 examples of your work.
Closing date for all applicants 23rd Jan 2022